12: CHATCHAAT THE WOLF

Popular winter Dana from 1958

**

"Quick!"

Louise cried out the command, tearing her eyes from the wolf and fastening them on her sister. She pointed upward.

"Climb one of the ladders to the top of an anaktwa!"

In a flash, both girls grabbed hold of the ladder closest to each one of them and scrambled up to the top of the burial structures just as the wolf sprang forward, growling and yapping as if he wanted to tear them to pieces.

"Try to pull the ladder up," shouted Jean, on her knees on top of the structure next to the one Louise had climbed. She tugged at the ladder but it was fastened to the poles with rawhide cords and it would not budge.

Louise found the same to be true of the ladder she had just climbed, and she looked at the wolf below with dismay. The ferocious animal was barking and howling up at the girls, prancing from one structure to the other, and jumping up against them in a frenzy.

"I doubt that he can climb the ladders," groaned Jean, looking over at her sister. "But what are we to do? We can't stay up here all day."

"Certainly not," Louise agreed. "We happen to be on people's graves."

As the wolf continued its frenzied attack, both girls looked warily at the platforms they were crouched down on. Each was long and wide, large enough to hold several people underneath the bark, skins, and furs that made up the coverings. The sisters looked at each other and shuddered, thinking of what lay underneath.

Jean shook her head in dismay. "What a strange predicament. Trapped on someone's grave by an angry wolf!"

"But why is he here?" Louise wanted to know. "Lorraine has gone away from the island. Both we and those boys saw her. Why has she left the wolf here?"

"Good question, Louise. Where was she headed to, and why didn't she take this beastly fellow along?"

Louise groaned as the wolf growled and jumped up against the ladder right below. Then she chuckled lamely. "He is rather beautiful, if you ask me. I just wish he was friendly. No wonder Mirabelle got so frightened and fell down when he jumped at her window."

Jean looked at the wolf skeptically. "He must be domesticated if he lives with Lorraine and is her companion."

"You're right. In that book I'm reading it tells that people used to domesticate wolves and breed them with dogs to get 'huskies', the wolf-dog that is used to pull dog sleds. They still do it up north across the border."

"Then he must be used to people," Jean decided. She looked down to the wolf as it attacked the structure Louise was on, and she called to him.

"Hey, you there! Where is Lorraine? Where is Lorraine?"