One

Matthew usually didn't have trouble fitting the words together. There was a direct line from his brain to the pen or keyboard he was working on.
But right now...there was nothing.
There were no words there for him to keep him sane...to pay the rent.
It had been going on for weeks, this block. It seemed like there was something missing in the story, but he couldn't figure out what. Day after day he stared at a blank notebook, wandering around the house, trying to get inspired.
But nothing came.
He expected the knock to come. It was later than expected. But it came.
Matthew tiptoed to the upstairs window, peeking down to see Lars standing on his porch. He knew the Dutchman wouldn't leave until he got what he wanted but Matthew really didn't want to face him in this condition.
Lars looked up and caught Matthew's eye.
Damn.
Busted.
The Canadian wandered downstairs, opening the front door casually, as if he wasn't having a panic attack.
"Heyyyy." He smirked awkwardly. "How's it going? Want some coffee?"
Lars lifted an eyebrow, unimpressed.
"But seriously..." Matthew opened the door. "You take it black, right?"
"Ja." Lars stepped into the home, kicking off his shoes as he did so.
Oh boy.
Matthew was in for a long lecture about due dates.
"So...uh..." Matthew strolled into the kitchen, acting as innocent as he could. "What's this visit all about?" He started up his coffee machine and grabbed two mugs from his drip rack.
"I have four things I need to tell you."
"Yeah?" Matthew chuckled nervously.
"Come, sit down." Lars took his place on the couch, scooting some discarded notes out of the way. Matthew curled up on the other side of he couch, pulling his legs against his chest.
"Okay..."
"First of all, clean your damn house."
"I can't think straight when my house is clean!"
"At least leave space to sit."
"Ugh."
"Secondly," Lars crossed his legs and leaned back in the chair. "You haven't turned in any chapters this week...or last week...or the week before."
"I know. It's just a little writers block. That's it."
"For three weeks?"
"It's been rough."
"Listen, your contract states that we will cover your rent as long as you send in a chapter every week. Thankfully, you're ahead, but I don't want to see you get evicted because of a few slow days."
"Weeks."
"Weeks." Lars sighed. "Anyway, you need to get out of this house. It's too stuffy and there isn't much inspiration."
"I've been fine in this place for years."
"Exactly. You've barely left your house in years. You're living off off delivery and your neighbours don't even know your name."
"Hey! You said you live off delivery!"
"I get take out so I don't mess up my kitchen. And I go outside. You don't."
Matthew crossed his arms, displeased by his guest.
"Look, are you still thinking about getting your current book illustrated?"
"Kinda."
"I've picked out an artist. He can live with you for a while until you get everything sorted out."
"L-live with me?!" Matthew sat forward, leaning on his arms. "I don't want anybody living with me!"
"He'll keep you company. You need somebody to talk to, Matthew."
"I talk to you, don't I?"
"For work."
"Yeah but..."
"Matthew..."
"Okay. Fine." Matthew groaned. "What was the fourth thing?"
"You father called."
"That asshole? What did he want?"
"He wants you to babysit your younger brother while he visits his parents in London."
"Why can't he take him along?"
"Because his mother is dying. He doesn't want Peter around that."
"At least he cares aboot one of his kids." Matthew scoffed.
"You're being bitter."
"I'm not babysitting that kid. He's not even my full brother."
"You were adopted."
"Exactly."
"Too bad. I'm dropping him off tomorrow."
"You can't just leave me with a kid I don't know."
"I can do whatever I want as long as I think it's for your benefit."
Matthew stood, clenching his fists tightly at his side like the Arthur meme.
"I don't want any children in my house!"
"I already made the decision for you." Lars got up and started walking toward the door. "Make sure you clean this place up before I get here."

Another day, another new fic!
Why won't you guys let me sleep.