Chapter two

It's been a day since getting the tickets, and news reporters were already at the door. Don't ask me how they found out. Of course, Mom insisted that I let them in.

I scowled as I trudged up to the door to let them in, but I plastered a fake smile just as I opened the door.

"Why hello!" I greeted. "Welcome to our humble home."

Ugh it was a Saturday! Who wakes up at ten in the morning? I was still in my pajamas, and I sure as heck ain't changing just for something as stupid as this.

I didn't ask for this at all. I've been frantically searching for Charlie Bucket, but he doesn't turn up anywhere!

Mother gave the reporters a strained smile as she and I stood in the backyard surrounded by a dozen news reporters and their camera men. I probably looked like a shy six year old when I stood behind my mom. I felt overwhelmed. I think Mom felt the same.

"My daughter was about to throw the wrapper away when I noticed a golden foil in it. It's not much of a story really," Mother explained as the people kept on taking pictures.

"So, what does Percy think about visiting Wonka's factory?" A person from the crowd asked.

I looked down and blushed. The attention was overwhelming.

"Uh, I wanted to avoid this whole Wonka thing, but what can you do," I shrugged my shoulders.

They were a bit shocked at that comment, but I didn't really care.

"Why wouldn't you want to get the golden ticket?" A lady reporter asked.

"Well, I don't like the publicity of all this stuff," I smiled tightly.

I was hoping they'd get the hint, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

They asked all sorts of questions and by the time it was finished both mom and me were exhausted.

I plopped on the blue couch chair and sighed. What have I gotten into? I just wanted a normal life. Is that too much to ask for?

I smiled contentedly as I leaned against Mother as she watched the news. Perhaps it's not so bad. I have Mom. That's all I need. The Wonka thing is a one day thing. I'll just get it over with and continue with my daily life.

"Mother?"

"Hmm," she replied.

"I love you," I said.

She smiled. "I love you too."

A few weeks later and it's finally the dreaded day.

"Get up! Get dressed!" Mom called.

I groaned and buried my face in my pillow.

This time I had a nice room. Gray walls, a desk in the corner, and pictures of me and my mother decorated the walls.

"Percy, now!"

I rolled on the floor and after a few minutes I reluctantly stood up.

"Let's see," I said to myself as I looked through my closet.

There wasn't a ton in there, but today I wanted to wear clothes that would be totally me.

I grabbed a red turtle neck shirt.

"Nope," I threw it over my head.

I picked up an ugly green sweater.

"Ew, no. Where did I get that," I scrunched up my nose and threw it over my shoulder.

I found a pink dress.

"Ugh, I'd rather wear the green sweater!" I threw it over my shoulder too.ī