chapter two - i can see you now

the salvatore parked the car at the entrance and headed inside, feeling somewhat hopeful especially after seeing damon's chevrolet camaro parked near his own. ' damon? ' he called out as he opened the door to the mansion, but instead he met a pair of brown eyes that he had been looking for. the silence set in between the two before they walked up to each other, taking each other in their arms, holding on tightly almost afraid of letting go.

it didn't really hit them how much they missed each other until that very moment. ' i longed to see you again. ' stefan whispered into her ear sweetly hearing elena smile almost instantly. ' i can say the same about you. we left quite an open door that... i was hoping we could solve. ' she went straight to the point, something stefan had grown to appreciate in her. the embrace broke and the two glanced at each other, almost as if studying the way they had changed over time - which surprisingly was nothing.

' okay. ' stefan nodded in consent, if that was what she was talking about right away then he was ready. ready to tell her how everything should have been had she been there, had he been alive still when she woke from the coma. ' stefan, what you said, ' the petrova doppelganger started only to be interrupted by the male doppelganger, ' i know what i said elena. it was selfish, thoughtless and maybe out of impulse, but it was real. honest. ' there was no way back from there now - the words started rolling off his lips.

it was a lot to take in at once, but ever since their last meeting elena had had doubts. doubts of herself, of her choices. there wasn't a single atom within her that was able to hold it together whenever she thought of the young salvatore. he'd died to give her a chance she didn't know she wanted to have to start with. sure she loved damon, that wasn't a question but she hadn't been in love with him for long, if she'd ever even felt it to start with. ' stefan... ' she didn't know what to say, elena was lost for words and the more he went, the more she became sure that was what she wanted.

by impulse, she finally took the last step separating them and leaned in. it felt verg much like their first kiss if she were to be honest, and in that moment part of her wondered why she hadn't chosen him - he brought the best out of her. stefan surrendered into the kiss, he'd longed for that moment for years and now that it was finally there, he held onto it tightly.