chapter three - trip down memory lane

the kiss broke soon after leaving both of them breathless. silence set in, yet they didn't dare take a step away from each other. elena nuzzled stefan's neck lightly, arms wrapping loosely around his torso and stefan welcomed it immediately. he'd needed this for so long, but was it to last? his emerald green eyes lowered to her head before he pressed a light kiss to it. no words were needed, they didn't need words - that's how close they were.

' i missed you. ' elena confessed in a whisper which got a smile out of the young salvatore. ' i missed you just as much. ' part of him wanted to ask how things went with her whilst she was still alive; but he didn't want to hear how she had been with damon and happy. those two words in the same sentence didn't work for him. another small part of him wanted to ask about everyone else who he had yet to meet once they passed away: bonnie, damon and even caroline. it was fair to say he didn't have any sort of romantic feelings for caroline but he cared for her - as her friend or best friend even. it was somewhat ironic stefan found his best friends in blondes: firstly lexi and then caroline.

elena glanced up at him, wondering where those events had placed them but she couldn't deny or hold back the smile. the genuine smile people hadn't seen for long. ' i should've tried harder to bring you back, i'm sorry. ' the gilbert apologised, doe brown eyes locked on the salvatore's emerald ones. ' it's okay, i've had good company here. ' stefan admitted with a smile once elena frowned at his statement, ' lexi. ' he revealed watching as elena grinned. ' she's here? ' the short time elena and lexi had together was well spent and they'd grown fond of each other so he was glad to see his best friend was still very present in elena's mind.

' come with me. ' stefan extended his hand waiting for her to take it and once she did, he started his way out of the house. ' i'm sure i left it... ' the salvatore started before turning the corner only to find his motorcycle, ' here. i want to take you somewhere i've been going almost every day since i've, well, died. ' stefan outlined as he climbed on top of the motorcycle and gave her some space. elena climbed right after, arms wrapping around stefan for security. they drove for a while, but eventually they reached it; they reached the top of the meaningful hill. ' here we are. ' stefan pointed out before he motioned for her to glance ahead, and once she did, she realised what that place was.

' you come here every day? ' she inquired although he'd made it clear that he did. ' yes, it brings me... peace in a way, and keeps me close to the people i love. ' stefan put it on those terms but truthfully he could've simply said it differently. they stayed for a few hours, sat on top of the hill exchanging stories of their time on the world of the living and the world of the dead, until the sun began to set. stefan stood and helped her up, the sun was setting on the horizon right in front of them and memories rushed in: elena confessing to not wanting to be a vampire, stefan vowing to protect her and her betrayal by choosing damon just a few days after. his arm wrapped around her shoulders as they both watched it go down silently, but elena chose again to lock the salvatore in an appreciative embrace - the scene played exactly like that very day, the day he held onto every day he was in that in between world of his own. ' thank you. ' he breathed into her ear.