•48•

Jayda

“August! August over here!”

“Can we get another one over here too.”

“Misty! One with you and your daughter.”

We had just arrived at the venue and it was crazy. Cameras were flashing all over, everywhere you turn.

Seeing a camera flashed before us startled Dajah causing her to hug me.

“Y'all ok?”

Looking behind us, Mrs. Misty’s grandmother hugged me.

 Misty’s grandmother hugged me

“Yea. It's just a bit crazy.”

“Yea. This how it be.” She laughed. “Y'all don't want to be in the pictures?”

“No.” I shook my head.

“Misty who are you wearing tonight?” We heard someone ask.

“My husband.” She smiled and hugged him. “He designed from the dress to my shoes.” She posed.

“Show ya man off baybeh

“Show ya man off baybeh.” We heard Mr. August shout.

“Can we get a family picture?”

“Aug one with you and the wife.”

Smiling, I watched as they hugged each other while the cameras flashed. It was crazy how even though it was his event, he put his attention on her and their daughter.

“Where's the family?”

Shifting a bit, letting Mrs. Copeland by, I smiled as they took their family picture.

Seeing them reminded me of how things were with my mother. They way, despite our situation, she made it about us and made sure we were happy regardless.

During the photos, Nai was calling us over and Day looked up at me.

Sighing, I gave in and we went and got into the picture. All while taking it, I was regretting it.