Chapter Nine: Running Away

Chapter Nine

"Running Away"

► Merii ◄

I opened my eyes, seeing only white. I thought I had died.

So I decided to scream, just to make sure.

I heard myself and felt a sharp pain in my left arm, which I canceled out. As my eyes focused, I saw that what I took to be the pink hair of a nurse in a hospital room with a ceiling full of whiteness.

Hospital room?!

I jerked up, tore whatever they had hooked into my arm, glanced at my other arm that was wrapped tightly in bandages, hopped off the bed, ignored the pain, and shot out of the room.

“Winston?!” I shouted, turning a corner with a bunch of nurses running after me while screaming for me to stop. “Winston!”

The boy I was looking for appeared around the corner in a new shirt and pants and messy blonde hair sticking all over the place. “What now?” he yawned, rubbing his eyes.

“You’re coming with me!”

I sped past him, grabbing his arm. Winston was now wide awake and just silently hurried after me. I gave him a glance which he returned with a small, hesitant smile. I grinned back, shoving the doors out and sprinting into the light.

I collided with a live person, unbalancing myself. “Whoa there, kids!” A hand steadied me and Winston before letting go and stepping back to get a good look at us.

She looked around nineteen years old and had long blonde hair and dark eyes along with earrings and a silver ear cuff; she wore a shirt-sleeved tiger-print shirt, a ripped skirt, and neon pink running shoes. She glanced at both of us, suddenly snapping her fingers. A graceful Rapidash trotted out of the trees and stood beside her. I glared at the Fire type.

“And where are you going?” she asked, tapping her chin. “Are you escaping?”

The doors behind us swung open. My eyes widened, and I was about to run, but the person behind suddenly called out Winston’s name.

He shrugged when he caught my confused gaze. “That’s Rex,” he explained. A boy with a blue hat came over, gasping in surprise when he saw me.

“Hold on, isn’t she supposed to be in bed and not moving?” Rex wondered out loud, looking concerned.

I stuck my tongue out at him. “And you’re supposed to be sitting in a chair eating popcorn while I die from poison.”

Bewilderment crossed Rex’s face as Winston suppressed a giggle. I smirked and stepped closer to the boy, keeping my hand clenched around Winston’s. “You think you’re the boss of me, huh?”

“Okay, break it up you two!” The girl with the Rapidash pushed me and Rex apart. The older boy almost looked like he wanted to murder me. Behind the girl’s back I rolled my eyes at him, making the cuckoo sigh and pointing to him, pretending to laugh silently. Rex’s eyes blazed as he unclasped a Pokeball from his belt, letting out a Lairon. I thought he was going to command the Lairon to attack me, but instead he jumped on it and rode away.

“Annnnd that’s what you get if you mess with me~” I sang, wiggling my fingers at him as he disappeared.

The girl laughed, turning my attention to her. “You’re one crazy girl, aren’t cha?”

I tilted my head, slightly puzzled. “Uh, no…?”

“Yes, I think you are.”

“No I’m not!”