Chapter Sixteen

"I have my dark side. You have your dark side. From the second that we have a brain, there are things that are not right - we are human beings with all these illusions and complexes and everything. That's attractive to me." ~Marjane Satrapi

"So how was your business trip?" Cage asked as we walked out of his building.

"You know boring and a lot of work."

"They are usually like that." Cage took my hand and kissed each of my fingers. It was a nice day out so we decided to walk to get something to eat instead of driving. I thought about how Keith stayed by his past lovers side till she grew old then died. Maybe I can do the same with Cage, I can try to be in his mortal life doing mortal things till he passes of old age.

"You look beautiful by the way." He never fails to say that.

"Thank you baby." I kissed his cheek.

"But what did you do in your free time at your trip?"

"You know I just hung out with a few of my coworkers, got some drinks. Kaden was there by the way. I work with him." Cage nodded his head at me. We entered the restaurant and immediately got seated. Cage excused himself to use the restroom and right on cue Kaden appeared crossing his legs.

"You shouldn't be here." Kaden rolled his eyes at me then patted my head.

"He can't see me remember?"

"What do you want?"

"To spend time with my friends damn." I laughed at him.

"We are on a little date Kaden." This time he rolled his eyes and poured at me. "Grown men don't pout."

"Shut up. You hog him."

"Lies."

"Truth!"

"Hey babe who are you talking to?" Oh shit. Kaden snickered at me trying to suppress his laugh.

"I uhh... no one why?"

"Well you were just-"

"Good afternoon my name is Andrew and I'll be your server today." Thank God. Cage and I both ordered a glass of water then looked over our menu. Kaden was making funny faces at me and I tried my hardest not to laugh.

"What's funny Ria Rae?" I snickered.

"Oh nothing babe. It's- it's just these funny food names." Cage smiled at me.

"Yeah they kinda funny." I cleared my throat and kicked Kaden's leg.

"Ow! That hurt you little-"

"What are you thinking about getting?" I wasn't even paying attention to the menu. Freaking Kaden had my attention the entire time.

"I think you should get the hot dog since you being a little bitch." I covered my face using the menu and tried my hardest not to laugh. I should be mad but that was pretty funny.

"I uhh-" I let out a laugh. "I think I'll get a burger with extra bacon."

"Are you okay?" I nodded and saw Kaden cracking up.

"I'll leave you alone. I tortured you enough."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Caleb." I got up and gently kissed his lips.

~.~

"What the hell Kaden?" I yelled appearing at his place. He was throwing a ball against the wall playing Madonna in the background.

"I was bored okay?" He threw the ball at me and I caught it throwing it back. I lied down next to Kaden on his bed and looked up at the ceiling. He grabbed onto my hand and kissed it. "This is hard." I nodded.

"He's going to grow old." Kaden squeezed my hand tight then started to play with my fingers.

"I don't want to lose my brother again Ria Rae. It's too painful." I sat against the head board and Kaden laid his hand on my lap and squeezed his arms around my waist.

"Don't think about that right now okay?"

"It's impossible to not think that when you know he's mortal. He's gonna get crows feet, cheeks will start to get saggy, his voice will get raspier, and will start to grow grey hairs. It's impossible Ria Rae... I just wish he told me he wanted to be mortal." I know Kaden is hurting worse than me.

"I don't think he would of changed his mind." Kaden shrugged.

"He was pretty stubborn."

"Know that I love you Kaden and I will always be there for you." He kissed my hand again and snuggled up to me.

"I love you too Ria Rae. You're like my little sister." Kaden closed his eyes and I did the same drifting off.

I woke up in a fright and Kaden was already up having tears rolling down his face.

"Something's wrong." Kaden and I teleported to Cage's front door and saw him laying there in a pool of his blood. The scrawny man Steven was there standing behind very big men and they were holding guns.

I could hear my heart beat in my ears and my whole body went cold. I was afraid to touch his body, afraid that he's actually dead. The three men laughed and kicked at Cage's leg.

"Dead as ever." Steven laughed.

"That pretty boy is finally out of my way." Kaden let them see him and the two big men held their guns up.

"Where the hell did you come from?" Kaden didn't answer. "Shoot him!" The men kept shooting at Kaden until they ran out of bullets. Kaden didn't move one itch, the bullets popped out his body and he balled his fist up.

"Ria, turn around." When I did I heard screams and shouts coming from every angle. I heard cracking and popping sounds with every scream. I kissed Cage's lips and my tears clouded my vision. I felt Kaden touched my shoulder and when I turned around he was covered in blood.

"We have to take him to Keith."