1

Cause She's Greater than the Game

JAY

In five years, I wanted to be signed and playing in the NBA. It was a big goal, but it wasn't impossible. I just had to work harder. W-

"Jay!" my younger sister called from her room.

I got up with a sigh and dragged myself over there.

"Yes?"

"I don't have a ride to dance practice."

"So, what that gotta do with me?"

She walked over to her suitcase and stood there unpacking her clothes with an attitude. We just came back from a trip to Florida, visiting our family.

"I need you to take me to dance practice, Jay." She rolled her eyes.

I flopped down on her floral-colored bedsheets. Shoot, I wasn't taking her anywhere. I already planned to shoot a few with the boys soon.

"I ain't taking you nowhere. You don't even respect my time."

She sternly eyed me down, rolling her eyes. This girl was so rude, and then she came expecting me to do for her.

"What time do you need Jay?" She laughed. "You don't even do anything but play basketball, party occasionally and then come home and play more basketball on your stupid game with Chris and them. You don't even have a girlfriend anymore because you spend so much time playing basketball. So, since you have nothing good to do with your time, you're finna take me to practice."

I flinched when she called 2K stupid, but the thing that hit me hard was when she talked about me not having a girlfriend anymore.

There were more reasons why I wasn't with Cee anymore, but I just never talked about them... Since what happened between Cee and me, I rather be single. She made it hard for me to trust another girl again.

I wasn't going to get caught up in any relationships again until I felt as though I was ready to settle down. Knowing myself, that wouldn't be anytime soon. I couldn't lie; I liked the freedom.

My thirteen-year-old sister always thought she ran things around here. This girl had no respect for me whatsoever, but whatever, I was not taking her anywhere.

"I rather do that than take you to dance practice, Jayda. Plus, you know I don't like waiting for you at practice with all those dance moms."

The last time I went to the dance studio with Jayda, someone's mom was hitting on me. I got up from my sister's bed, heading for the door.

"Jay, where are you going!?"

"Out."

I jogged down the stairs and through the front door. Unlocking my car door, I jumped in the driver's seat and started the engine.

~~~

I pulled up to the court, and Chris, Ty, and the other fellas were already starting up.

"Y'all starting without me?"

I closed the car door, running onto the court.

Chris walked over to me; we did our handshake, then we broke. When I was around my friends, I had to keep my stern face out on the court. Since I was younger, no one ever messed with me because I kept it clear that I knew how to handle myself.

"We just thought you weren't coming anymore, man," Chris said.

"Nah, I just had some business with my sister to deal with."