Three

I turn the key in my apartment door but before I can step through an arm snakes around my waist

I turn the key in my apartment door but before I can step through an arm snakes around my waist. Mark spins me to face him. One of his hands cups my face as his lips crash into mine. I can taste our dinner we just ate with Maddie and Dylan. My fingers tug and glide through Mark's ebony hair as my lips surrender to him.

"I hate...your apartment" Mark murmurs into the kiss.

"What?" Ok yes it only has two rooms the foyer-kitchen-lounge-bed and bathroom but it was all I could get when I moved here and I like it.

"You shouldn't live here. You deserve better than this dump" Mark's hand pull my face away to look in my eyes, "my girlfriend deserves better"

"Did you say girlfriend?"

Mark's eyes twinkle in response and his lips tug up into a smirk. Cocky bastard. But my cocky bastard! This time I lead shoving Mark through the partially open door before kicking it shut with my foot. The mood is carnal it is just the two of us before the buzzing from my bag interrupts us.

"Answer it. I'll make us a snack"

"But..."

"We all the time in the world" Mark replies he kisses my forehead before heading to the kitchen part of my foyer-kitchen-lounge-bed.

I pull my phone out my bag, still buzzing I glance at the time, 12.14am. My brother Aiden's obnoxious smile staring back at me before I press the phone to my ear.

"Aiden, do you realise what the time is here?"

"Hi Amie, you don't sound like you were sleeping"

"Thats not the point. Check the world clock on your iPhone before calling me."

"I just finished school" My big brother the high school chemistry teacher. "You were lying before"

"Before?"

"When mum asked you if you were seeing anyone"

Damn you Aiden.

"Look Aid..."

"Amie I know I'm not dad -"

"Don't Aiden." I turn my back to Mark. Dad. The one who encouraged me to come to New York.

"Amber dad loved you but he'd be grilling any guy that dared to come near you"

"Aiden look I know you are coming from a place of love but maybe we can do this at an appropriate hour"

"Amber, give me the phone" Mark's voice startled me from behind.

"Is that him?"

"Aiden just hold on a sec" I press the phone to my chest. "Mark you don't have to talk to him"

"It's your brother right?" I nod "Amber I have a sister I know the conversation. Yes, I've never been on the receiving end but I have given it once or twice"

Reluctantly I hand the phone to Mark who takes a deep breath before pressing it to his ear.
"Hello"
"..."
"Yep. Mark Jacobs"
"..."
"It's nice to meet you Aiden. Well hear your voice" Mark winks at me. "Amber I'm going to talk to him in the hall. Just flip those" he points to the frying pan, "and grab some wine"

I follow Mark's instructions heading straight to the frying pan. Grilled cheese. He made me grilled cheese. Incredibly fancy and delicious looking grilled cheese.

I can't believe Aiden would bring up dad. He knows how I felt when I had to miss the funeral. I wasn't even there when he died.

Wine.

Definitely need wine. Riesling. That will go with grilled cheese right? I take two glasses and the bottle and head for the couch just as Mark comes back through my front door, laughing. Why is he laughing? He says bye to Aiden and hands me the phone. It takes me a few second to get over the shock of seeing him laugh before I press the phone against my ear.

"Aid?"

"Hi Amie. Mark's a good guy. I like him"

"Uh thanks"

"Make sure you tell mum ok?"

"Ok"

"I love you Amber. I'll let you go"

"I love you too Aiden. Bye"

I throw my phone into the pillows of the couch and look over at Mark.

"What did he say?"

"Can't tell you" he is smirking. Seriously?
"Well what did you say?"

"I told him we were being safe" I say smirking back. Two can play at this game mister.

"Safe?" He asks curiously.

"Yeah safe while we have sex on every surface of your apartment"

"WHAT?!"

.........................
Thank you for reading! Please Vote and Comment! ❤️