Chapter 15

This parasite had been following us for years. His face swam through my nightmares, I was forced to relive the worst period of my life through him. Ever since the fight that had cost him dearly in the arm department, something I made sure to point out every time we saw him, he had made it his personal mission to destroy us. So much so that he wouldn't allow anyone else the honor of aiding him. By this point the Vultori knew we were alive, they just didn't have an interest in finding us at the moment. If they had we would probably be dead.

It had taken much thought on my part to reach a conclusion. An infuriating and heartbreaking one. I had been an excuse, nothing more. They knew I was a half breed, not an immortal child. I was merely an excuse to take out a strong coven and possibly get some new members. I hated the Vultori and everything they stood for. I finally understood the Romanian's point of view. We hadn't found them yet since coming here. If they had known anything they would have told us then, there was no point in throwing a wrench in their lives.

His scent carried towards us, closer now before the wind shifted. Jacob paused on the edge of an open clearing. The clearing was bordered by tall tree's casting us in shadow. Felix stood on the opposite end, body draped in a thick cloak, hood thrown back. Those red eyes pierced right through me and I found myself repressing a shiver. Fear and anger mingled together and I found myself clenching and unclenching my fingers. Jacob tensed beneath me and I slid off. Growling he used his body to force me closer to the base of a giant tree. Annoying as it was I knew I was more hindrance than help in this situation and settled myself on a branches twenty feet off the ground. Only when he was satisfied I was out of the way did Jacob pace out into the clearing.

Felix met him partway, sunlight glinting off his diamond skin, if our eyes weren't so strong he would be blinding. As it was he was still dazzling to behold. No one could claim a vampire was ugly. I found myself struggling to remind myself to breathe as the adversaries approached one another. Terror lay thick and heavy in my stomach. Jacob had come away from fights with Felix with broken bones and wounds on more than one occasion. Even with one arm Felix was a formidable fighter and he no longer fought weaponless. He was always packing. Jacob groaned whenever I said that, so I said it as often as possible. Usually guns for range and a sword for close encounters.

It was almost a standoff. Jacob crouched waiting for Felix to make a move. Felix, sword drawn, eyed the russet wolf before him, waiting motionless. With movements too quick for a human eye to discern they were dancing together, a deadly waltz.

The sword whistled, cutting the air, as he slashed at Jacob. The movements were so precise if either made a misstep someone would die. I could only pray it wouldn't be my Jacob. Whipping around Jacob snapped at his heels, darting away when Felix turned with a backhand. His sword quivered in the ground as he stabbed it in. The gun flashed from its holster and I caught my breath on a cry as the irony smell of blood wafted towards me. Jacob's shoulder was drenched in a copious amount of blood. If anything it made him angrier. He roared, as much as a wolf can do that, so loud was his bark, setting the very air to trembling.

I trembled with it, hugging the trunk for dear life, nails digging into the bark until my hands were coated in the sweet, sticky sap. Leaning forward I willed my strength into Jacob.

Felix laughed, spinning back, the barrel of the gun catching the light of the sun as he unloaded another shot. This Jacob dodged.

"Appears our wolf isn't so big and bad anymore little red!" Felix taunted, gaze sliding to me. Bad move, you should never take your eyes off a wolf, injured or not.

Its the little things that make or break a fight. A miscalculated swing, a pothole in the terrain, the sun in your eyes, the tiniest lapse in concentration can cost you your life. It cost Felix his. Jacob lunged for him, teeth closing on his shoulder, entire body in the way of his gun arm. One great wrench of his head tore out half his throat. There was no blood, just the sound of stone being broken apart. Felix roared, mainly in anger I think, the gun fell from his hand and he reached for his sword, slashing widely. One of the swings made contact and blood splattered the grass underfoot. Jacob growled harshly, shaking the blood from his face. A shallow gash was open on his muzzle, the blood matting his fur, and dripping down his chest.

"I should have killed the little bitch while I had the chance!" He screamed, blood dripping from his sword.

I slithered down the tree, dropping light as a feather on the ground. In the tussle the gun had been forgotten and sat a few feet from where they fought. My footsteps made almost no noise as I sprinted across the clearing. Neither party noticed as I picked up the gun and took aim. The shot jolted through me, surprising me with the power of it. The sound ringing in my ears. Of course it would be powerful, it was made to harm werewolves.

Felix's body shuddered as the bullet glanced off his skin, eyes wild with hate he rounded on me, his sword raised at me. My purpose was served, with his attention diverted Jacob would slip in and take out a sizable chunk. His head. After that it was easy, we wasted no time in burning the pieces. For once the cloyingly sweet smell and purple smoke was a good thing. I watched his body burn with a horrible feeling of satisfaction.