Prologue

A loud clang from the kitchen awoke me from my sleep with a start. I looked to my alarm clock to see a bright 2am staring back at my tired eyes. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes throwing my covers back and stepping off my bed. I walked across the carpet of my bedroom and into the hallway. I silently crept down the stairs and proceeded to walk in the direction of my parent's bedroom. If there was something in the kitchen I sure as hell wasn't going to check it out without getting my parents first, who were highly trained in the magical arts and worked at the ministry. I didn't bother to knock as I quietly opened their bedroom door and padded over to their bed.

"Mum. Dad. Please wake up." I said as I gently shook their shoulders.

My dad woke up first. "What's wrong honey?" He asked sitting up.

"Something is in the house." I said nervously as yet another crash echoed from the kitchen. It sounded like pots and pans were being thrown against each other.

My mother suddenly woke up as a particularly loud sound resounded through the house. "What's happening? Allen where is that noise coming from?" She asked my father nervously.

They both got up from their places on the bed and whispered something to each other before turning to me. "Honey I want you. to stay here ok? Your mother and I will go deal with this. Stay here okay. We'll lock the door behind us."

After a nod of understanding from me, they hurried out of the door clad in only a nightgown and boxers to face whatever threat was located in the house. I strained my ears to hear what was going on above the loud racket. I threw myself under the comforter because it always made me feel safer even if it was a stupid habit. Suddenly the racket in the kitchen stopped and was replaced with the yells of my parents. In panic I peeked out of my blanket sanctuary. The yells and clangs had disappeared completely. The silence scared me more than when this thing had been banging around. I heard padded footsteps nearing the door, along with heavy panting. I froze in fear of whatever was on the other side. It slammed into the door, sending wood fragments onto the floor. I franticly scrambled out of the bed, taking the blanket with me and hid in the farthest corner away from the door. From the small hole it had made in the door, I could see a yellow eye surrounded by wiry brown tuffs of fur. No sound came out as I silently screamed when it broke through the weak door. I froze in complete fear as a beast made its way over to me. I made out a growl as it crawled over to my frozen figure. Before I could react to what was happening he lunged forward and raked his claws into my stomach. I fell over as blood sprayed across the light blue carpet and began to pool on the blanket. I finally let out a scream of fright and pain when is lunged again. This time I was not met with claws, bit with a yellow set of teeth. I almost passed out from the pain that erupted in my torn shoulder. The next few moments were a blur of confusion and pain. While the beast attempted to lunge at me again-this time to finish me off-a battle cry sounded behind it and something was slammed into it before it could reach me again. Thankfully this turned its attention to the new attacker and off of me. Before I could register anything else, the pain in my shoulder intensified to unbearable levels and I screamed once again before my eyes closed and I passed out in a pool of my blood and blankets.