Partners

It wasn't supposed to happen, it just did. Neither of them meant for it to happen. They never really talked before or after it happened, they just kept it between them and went their separate ways.

Ross woke up to his alarm clock and let out a groan. He hates going to school, but he doesn't really have a choice. After dragging himself out of bed, Ross stood up, stretched, and walked to his closet. He put on a pair of dark skinnys, a black v-neck, a black studded belt, and a pair of smokey grey Converse. Before leaving, he slips on his leather jacket, a silver chain, and a grey beanie.

Ross made his way downstairs, grabbed his bag and an apple,  then headed to school. As he walked down the hall, he spotted his friend Ratliff and walked up to him.

"Hey dude," Ross said.

"Hey," Ratliff replied back.

Ross was about to speak again, but Ratliff cut him off.

"No time to chat, dude. We're gonna be late for class and apparently Baxter has some big mystery project for us that counts for half our grade."

Ratliff grabbed Ross by the wrist and dragged him toward their lockers. On the way, they passed the "popular group", or as  Ross and Ratliff liked to call them, " The High Strung Bitch Squad." They hated all of them, especially the queen bee, Maia Mitchell, who earned his dislike the minute she started messing with his sister. She's a total slut, and yet Riker Lynch is her boyfriend.

Riker was an all around cool guy, nice, made good grades, and his band, SFX, was awesome. No one really knew how he ended up with Maia.

As Ross and Ratliff passed the group, Ross and Riker made eye contact and immediately looked away, not wanting to look at the other's face, afraid of what might happen.

Ross and Ratliff walked to their lockers, grabbed their books, and made their way to first period. As they entered the classroom, they saw that everyone was standing up. The teacher, Mr.Baxter, was calling out names when he noticed the boys.

"Hello boys, I am assigning partners so just stand and wait til I call your name is called."

The two boys did as they were told and waited by the wall. They waited until their names were called, and were sad when they didn't end up as partners. Ratliff's partner was Rocky Lynch, Riker's brother, and Ross was still waiting for his name to be called.

There were still six people left to be paired, Ross, Laura Marano, Curt Mega, Rydel, Ross' sister, Riker, and Grace . Ross was praying that he ended up with his sister, Rydel, or Laura because she was one of his good friends.

"Ross and Riker."

Both boys froze when they heard their names called together. Why, out of all the other people they could've been paired with, did they have to be paired up together?

Both boys slowly made their way to the table in the back of the room and sat down. They slid their chairs as far from the other as they could and sat, not looking at the other.

Mr.Baxter announced that they would be doing a "friendship project". They're supposed to spend two months with their partner, learn about each other, and make a video about their experience.

Before Mr.Baxter could even finish explaining the project, Ross was out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Ratliff got up and was about to go after his best friend, but Mr.Baxter stopped him,"No."

He turned and looked at Riker,"Go talk to him."

Riker sighed heavily before slowly getting up and walking out of the room.

Ross just ran out the room, he didn't stop running until he made it to the guys bathroom and locked himself into one of the stalls. He didn't want to do the project with Riker. It gave him a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach and made him want to puke.

A minute later he heard the bathroom door open, followed by,"Ross, where are you?"

It was Riker.