I Wanted to Be Alone

He could hear the camera flashes shooting at an unmeasurable speed. He could hear the voices talking all at the same time, with curiosity and despite in their tone. Even without seeing her he knew she was terrified right now. He didn't even know how they found out she was there.

Anyway he felt responsible for the mess and he would be the one who was going to fix it.

He left the building and passed by her, positioning himself right in front of her. Using his body as shield, he completely covered her up. "The princess has nothing to say. Please respect her privacy and leave."

The band of journalists didn't move a foot and kept up the harassment. Jasper felt the anger taking over his body. But he knew that the smallest slip from him was going to be used against her so he would not give them a chance.

"If you don't leave right now I assure you that every single one of you will be fighting to keep your license in court, because this is private property that you are all invading and you have no right to be here." His face was closed and even Eleanor was afraid of him without seeing his face.

He took his hand and almost carried her to the car. Both in silence, they closed the doors and shut down the horrible noise that was around them.

She spoke with her eyes fixed on the windshield. "What are you doing here? I thought you were fired!"

He didn't answer right away but he fixed his gaze on her. Closing his face even more he asked. "What are YOU doing here?" He asked pointing to Beck's house.

She shook her head and didn't answer. But with his inquisition look on her she ended up talking. "I wanted to be alone!"

He threw his head back and rubbed his forehead. "Alone with Beck?" His voice sounded broken and she felt bad for doing this to him.

She was angry with him and she wanted to hurt him so when she heard about Beck's party for Robert she thought it would be a good place to hide from her demons. She was leaving soon and it fit as a goodbye party for her too.

She always managed to be alone at these parties. Everybody was trying to impress somebody, every high society bicth was trying to bang some wealthy ugly guy, so usually she could just dance and lose herself in the middle of the crowd. And no she didn't wanted to be alone with Beck, she just wanted to be alone.

Her bedroom brought her to many memories of him to give her the comfort of hiding herself there. When she walked around the castle all she could see was Jasper spots, where they kissed, where they talked, where she spied on him, where he spied on her, she could still smell his scent on the shirt he left in her bedroom and she used it to sleep.

These days it seemed everything gave her some reminding of him so she ran from the castle to this stupid party, that she confirmed she was not going to because lets face it, she and Beck were not really talking these days. But she came and she hid and she was proud of herself because she didn't fall on the drug magnet and managed to keep herself awake with just champagne.

Facing him finally she spit, "Not with Beck no, just alone!"

"Where is your security detail?"

She shrugged. "I dodged her!"

He shook his head in disagreement. "Why? Why do this?"

She hated when he spoke with her like she was some bewildered teenager. His tone triggered her anger and all the things that she wanted to tell him. Because she knew that something was up and she knew that they were doing good, surprisingly, and she knew that he said something about protecting her but she really didn't care, because no one goes from unspoken "I love you's" to "This is too much for me."

"Len?" He called because she didn't answer him and with one word all her anger faded away. Hearing him say her nickname like that, so tender and worried, melted her heart. He usually didn't use it. Most of the time he was professional and called her "Princess" or "Your highness" and in their spilt second of a relationship he mostly call her babe when they were alone. Hearing him calling her by her name gave her butterflies in her stomach and made her smile and forget all her anger.

He looked at the sad smile on her face making his heart ache. The urge to hug her was too high, and he probably would have done it if she didn't answer him with another question.

"Why did you leave Jasper? And ... Why did you come back?"

He started the car and left that place behind. "I just... I was trying to protect you as always, as I tried to explain to you yesterday!"

She looked at him and grabbed his harm. "Yes, but why did you leave?"

He took a deep breath, stopped the car on the side of the road and spoke really slowly. "I was threatened by a journalist, but you would have been the one suffering the consequences so I went to take care of it!"

"I'm not a damsel in distress Jasper... and it must have been a huge thing to make you denied us..."

They sat in silence a couple of seconds until Jasper grabbed her hand, "I think I took care of it but ... "

"But what Jasper? " A single tear delineated a path on his face until it dropped on his lap. She was to hurt to do anything more than squeeze his hand. "But what Jasper? You know I'm leaving right?" Now with a mist of anger and sadness in her voice. She started to cry.

He could not see her hurt like this. He reached for her and brought her closer to his body hugging her and kissing the top of her head. "Let me fix it! Please don't leave right away!"

"I'm not leaving because of you! I'm leaving because of me!" She acknowledged mostly to herself. Her words were no more than a whisper in his neck.

"Maybe I should go with you then!"

Her answer was silence which give him some kind of hope. Feeling her close to him like this and knowing that he could not have her, made him even more angry with his father, even without being certain that all this mess was brought on by him anymore. But this hug gave him strength to fight back and he would fix this mess and he would be able to say "I love you Eleanor" out loud with no doubts about himself being worth it for her.