Seducing the Seducer

Prologue

The wind twisted around the tall, dirty buildings. It spun litter into little dust devils, throwing plastic bags into the air. The occasional car could be heard several streets away, filling the air with the loud bass of the music playing.

A figure stood under the orange glow of a street light. Its tall frame was wrapped in a long coat that went from neck to ankle. The figure's face was difficult to see as it was turned away from the light and hidden in shadow.

There was a quiet shuffling sound, and a small, dirty head peeped around the corner of an alleyway. It saw the shadowy figure under the streetlight, paused in interest then retreated back into the darkness. The tall figure hadn't moved. The orange light flickered, and went out. The wind suddenly dropped as if someone had flicked a switch and cut off it's power.

Then the figure moved. Turning his head towards the only remaining source of light, the lamp at the other end of the street. His features were cast into sharp relief as he looked at the light.

Anyone who had been looking at him would have seen a pale, thin face with deep, dark eyes and jet black hair. But there was no one about and the lighting of his face was brief. The other light also went out and darkness closed in. Noises seemed to be amplified in the stillness that followed. The distant cars, the scuffling of the small person still in the alleyway. The figure's head swiveled towards that dark opening.

There was a ripple of air, he moved too quickly for a human eye to follow. A short scream ripped through the night but was quickly cut off. Then, once again, silence claimed the area, wrapping it like a shroud.