i

marshmallow
chapter one
❝i cannot stand still❞

◟̆◞̆

     "that would be 4100₩, please." soeun said while finishing her last costumer's order. the boy quietly handed her the money in exchange for his strawberry milkshake. she giggled a short "thanks" while observing how his soft pink hair just had the same color as his drink.

     this isn't the first time he bought something at her family's coffee shop, but apparently he isn't a regular costumer either. soeun wouldn't even know his name if it wasn't for the golden tag on his uniform, neither would she know that they were students from the same school. even though his hair was quite unusual, lee eunsang never seemed to stand out much. at least not to people other than soeun.

being part of the student council and having the school president as brother makes it easy for her to find friends. however soeun would still be one of the popular students without these aspects, as she is gifted with an easy going personality and lovable presence. and even with plenty of friends the girl just couldn't let her urge to get to know lee eunsang go.

it took soeun three weeks after the boy's first purchase at their coffee shop until she actually saw him at school for the first time. since then she started to approach him from time to time but the boy didn't seem to be interested in making friends at all.

after a handful of attempts soeun just stopped bothering him and other than his few appearances at their shop or some classes that they're sharing since junior year began, soeun and eunsang don't really have any other connections.

◟̆◞̆

     as usual eunsang just took his drink and disappeared without saying anything. after cleaning up, soeun closed the shop a bit earlier and took off to a cake shop nearby. she had to take over the shift alone today so that her mother could prepare seungwoo's birthday dinner at home. the only task left for her to do now was picking up her brother's birthday cake.

     there is a small cake shop three blocks further away which her mother swore was the best in their whole area. soeun herself has never been there in person but she knows that many of her bithday cakes, if not even all of them, are from this place.

     she entered the shop and a lady working there knew right away which cake was meant when soeun mentioned her mother's name. she told soeun to wait for a minute and disappeared at the back before a familiar pink haired boy came out of the same room.

     "okay mom, but i'm leaving," he stopped mid sentence and gave soeun a blank look "in a few minutes." soeun briefly smiled at him. "that's mine right? how much is it?" she pointed at the cake he was holding. "yes uhm, i think someone already paid for it." eunsang awkwardly answered, making this the longest conversation they've ever had.

     just assuming that her mother already paid, soeun took the cake and quickly thanked the boy before leaving. she wouldn't want to be late for her beloved brother's birthday but it's also a shame to her that she couldn't exchange a few more words with eunsang.

     even though soeun gave up trying to find out more about him long ago, she never stopped thinking that he and his non existent presence were fascinating.

◟̆◞̆

     a few streets later soeun removed one of her earphones as she noticed that the shadow following her hadn't left for the past four songs. regardless she wouldn't even dare to turn around so the only option that came to her mind was quickening her steps followed by running away.