Chapter 7

Lola came racing into the door, "sorry I'm late... again," she felt guilty, "you shouldn't be late all the time, especially today, Hayley has discovered a secret and illegal owned bird mill, these birds are being kept in cages only appropriate for bird the size of a budgie/parakeet." Josh explained sadly, "omg, well lets go save them," she desperately ran back outside, "Wait come back! Megan and Hayley don't know your here," he rolled his eyes, Lola stupidly came walking back inside, "shit!" she yelled, Megan appeared from the reptile room, "oh your here, did Josh tell you?" "yea he told me, poor birds," she sighed, "oh yea..." Megan was thinking of something else. "Actually what i was talking about was did he tell you that we are maybe... more then friends," she grinned with a soft voice, "wait what!" Lola felt like a bullet just went through her, "oops."

Lola decided she would stay back at the rescue to look after the animals, also as a excuse to sulk, "fair enough," Hayley handed the key ring with every single key on it to her with trust. "I've asked one of the vets from my clinic to come in and help you, she is a good friend of mine," she finished before leaving with Megan and Josh waiting in the car. Lola was left alone with Megan's birds and the whole adoption centre. "So where is this 'secret' place?" Megan asked with interest, "in the woods, like why tf would you keep such a big and awful factory in the middle of no where right," Hayley explained sarcastically. "Oh damn," Josh gasped, "sounds realistic," she replied quietly. They approached a pathway to a woodland place, there was a sign saying "keep out!" "this is the place," Hayley stopped and got out of the car, "we should walk so we don't get noticed," she suggested. "Good idea," Megan took 3 trollies out of the boot, hopefully we can get them all safely to the rescue without anyone catching us," she was feeling anxious and a little scared. The three walked silently through the woods cautiously, suddenly Megan heard a rustle In the bushes, "get behind me," Josh ordered, she was ready to ram what ever was coming their way. Hayley looked suspiciously at the bush, "come out!" she threated, a little figure appeared, "you where scared of a innocent little puppy," Megan laughed, pretending she wasn't scared at all. The German Shepherd backed away with fear, "no come here little guy, i want to help," Megan came forward with open arms, she let the dog sniff her hand. She noticed something was odd looking, "Hayley, do you have a bandage?" she asked, her aunt was already one step ahead of her, "here," she handed a safety pin with bandage wrapping. "You poor thing," the puppy helplessly lay on its side, he was missing a leg, "i wonder what hurt him," Josh frowned with wonder. Megan picked up the shaken pup and placed him in her trolley, she took off her jumper for a softer surface. "Rest little one," she encourage, stroking his head, "I think Brandon would be a good name for you," she thought, you have blue eyes like my teen years idol." They continued to walk slowly to the factory, "look what there doing to that poor macaw," Megan whispered with horror in her eyes, "how can people be so cruel," she felt like crying, two men where beating a hyacinth macaw with a wooden stick, "you useless creature!" one guy yelled with fury, from the look of his hand he had suffered several bites, "he deserves those hideous scars," Hayley spat angrily. "True," Josh agreed, "lets go into the back, as far as I know those two are the only ones here, then there's that old women" she finished. "I'll stay at the door and keep guard," Josh offered, "just come back and load the cages in my trolley so I'm not that useless." He laughed a little, the women nodded and went inside, Megan sadly looked around at the injured and stressed faces, two young hyacinth where chained together with a price tag on them, she grabbed two bird cages and placed them inside her trolley, she put Brandon in the basket in front of it, Hayley had found 8 Harley Quinn macaws in an aviary in the corner. She put her gloves on and picked them up one by one and put them in boxes, they came back out, Josh took one look and had a thought,, "there's too many of them to carry in these trolleys, I have to call my dad." He insisted, "true," Megan sighed, 40 minutes later they had taken everything out, Josh got in the car, "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING!" a familiar woman appeared, "wtf are you doing with my birds!" she screamed, Hayley and Megan bolted into the truck, "DRIVE!" Josh yelled to his dad, two guys chased the truck with pistols in their hands. Bullets where flying everywhere, "we are gonna die!" Megan screamed dramatically, "stop being so dramatic," her aunt grumped, a little worried herself. "I know now's not the right time but are you Josh's girlfriend?" Josh's dad asked, "yep," Megan said shakily, "I'm Jackson, just call me jack," he replied, introducing himself. Megan nodded, "and I'm hungry," Josh grinned, "oh same," she laughed. "They stopped following us now, I think they gave up," Hayley explain.

They got back to the rescue, "I'll report this right away," Jackson explained, leaving to go to the police station. "Your back!" Lola felt a burst of energy, "yes, with heaps of injured animals," Megan looked sadly at the caged birds, they started taking the cages inside for check-ups, Hayley and her apprentice Faith started helping all the hyacinth macaws, Megan and a girl named Jamie from the clinic that helped all day helped the Harley Quinn macaws and sick puppy, Megan found. "He needs to rest, that leg is badly damaged, the bandage should be on him for a few weeks, he will be able to be put up for adoption in a month or so," the vet explained, "that's good," Megan was relieved, Jamie gave the puppy his vaccination and flea check. All the patients where put outside in a shed to recover, Brandon sat on Megan's lap. He had gained heaps of trust in her.