Chapter 8

"What is it dear?" Sweeney asked. "Are you alright?"

"I'm-umm-" Nellie started. "Before I say this, I want you to know that I don't expect you to be with me on this if you aren't okay with it. I understand if you want to leave because of this, and it'll be okay...we will manage-"

"What is it, you seem quite distressed, dear." Sweeney said, walking closer to her and taking her hand. "Please tell me what's wrong."

"I'm, well we, are having a-a baby." Nellie stuttered, turning away from him. She felt a tear run down her face, she couldn't bare the thought of him leaving her because she had been to reckless. Of course she wanted the baby, it's what she had always wanted, but then again she wanted him as well. Maybe more.Sweeney let go of her hand, and stepped away, she looked at him with her lip trembling and her hands shaking. "I'm so sorry." She wept.

"Don't be sorry." He replied. "It's just a little unexpected, that's all. Though, I am happy. As my wife-to-be, you deserve everything you want, and if this is what you want, then I support you. This is what you want?"

"Yes, I do want this, obviously. I mean, all I've ever wanted is to have a baby of my own, with the man I love, it's always been my dream. But I don't want it if you don't want it. It has to be mutual." Nellie said, wiping her eyes. "Don't do this out of guilt."

"I won't do it out if guilt, out of love instead." He said. "If your having a baby, it's for a reason, it's clearly where our relationship is headed. However, I must admit, I am a little insulted that you'd think I wouldn't support you, you know I love you no matter what."

"I know, I just...I was just scared that you weren't ready." Nellie replied.

"I'm ready if you are."

~*~
It had been a day since Nellie announced her pregnancy to Sweeney. Coincidently, the pair had spent all their time together, discussing baby names and how to decorate the nursery. Toby and Josephine were feeling a little out if the loop, they weren't really sure what to do, they decided to explore the town while Nellie and Sweeney were all loved up. The went to the town, but while they were out Toby saw someone he recognised.

"Marcus! Marcus, is that you?" Toby called. He recognised his friend from the city, the boy was standing in the street holding his little sisters hand. Toby ran up to them. "What are you doing here?"

"My family wanted to take a holiday by the sea, but Marianne dropped her dolly and we went to look for it. When we went back for are parents, they were gone. We started looking for them but we really can't find them. Have you seen them, Toby? And who's your friend?" Marcus asked. Marcus was a year older than Toby, his little sister, Marianne, being about three years younger.

"I'm Josephine Taylor, Toby's aunt. It's nice to meet you." Josephine smiled. "Do you want to come back to our house? Nellie and Mr Todd can go looking for your parents later, but you can't just stay in the streets."

"I'm not sure..." Marcus said. "Do you think my parents would approve of that?"

"I don't see why not, your mum and my mum are friends, I don't see why she'd care at all." Toby said. "Plus, my mum bought me a new football for my birthday, so we can play on the beach if you want. Don't worry, you'll find your parents before you know it." Toby added.

Suddenly Marcus seemed more comforted, he let go of his sisters hand and they left the girls sp they can go play football. Josephine rolled her eyes. "Boys." She muttered. She put her hand out to Marianne. "Come on, you can have a biscuit when we get home, and I would love it if you could tell me all about your dolly." Josephine said.

Marianne looked a little like the doll she was holding. She had ash-blonde hair and big blue eyes, just the look of her made you want to pick her up and hug her. She was still very small though, and was sucking her thumb. "Okay, yes miss." She said shyly.

Josephine took her hand, and the pair went back to the house. Nellie and Sweeney were discussing the baby, and had both realised that they wanted a boy, a little brother for Toby, it was just fit better for both of them. Nellie didn't want to have a Josephine-like child, she was beautiful, and it wasn't that Nellie didn't love her, but she was painstakingly annoying to her parents growing up. But she would be delighted with a daughter as well, she had always wanted to call her daughter Elizabeth, after her grandmother, but until now she had thought this would never happen for her.

She heard a knock on the bedroom door, Josephine entered. "Hey Sissy, just wondering if I could give Marianne some milk? She was really thirsty, and I wasn't sure if you were okay with it."

"Marianne? As in Marianne Bancroft?" Nellie asked. "What on earth is she doing here? She lives back in the city?"

"Yeah, I think she's from the city. Now, can she have milk or not?" Josephine repeated.

"Why, yes of course she can have milk. Let me see her, is she okay?" Nellie asked walking into the kitchen to see the girl playing with her doll. Nellie poured some milk, and then her and Josephine sat next to Marianne.

"Marianne was just about to tell me about her dolly, weren't you?" Josephine said, receiving a nod from Marianne.

"Her name is Daffodil. My mummy says that she is my best friend and that I should never lose her..."

Marianne kept talking and Nellie kept smiling. Of course she loved Toby, but she was so excited to be able to watch her child grow up right from when it was small, a baby up to Marianne's age. It was all she had ever really wanted.