THE ECLIPSE OF THE HEART

Maulana Jalaluddeen Rumi (Rahmatullah ‘alaih) makes
mention, in his epic composition, the Mathnavi Sharif, of the 14th moon: Its glorious beauty and shine illuminates the night and expels its complete darkness.

However the light effect acquired from the moon is not from its own light, because it has no light. The moon borrows light from the splendorous sun and thus reflects the light of the sun onto the earth.

When the earth, while rotating around the sun, comes between the sun and the moon, the moon is eclipsed. The shadow of the earth falls upon the moon which results in it
darkening.

Maulana Rumi (Rahmatullah ‘alaih) cites this phenomena and draws a beautiful analogy : The heart of a Mu'min is akin to the moon, deriving its noor from the noor of AllahTa’ala.
This noor effaces the darkness within the heart, illuminating it.

Unfortunately, nafs and Shaytaan come between us and Allah Ta’ala and block the radiant and resplendent light of Allah Ta’ala which is perpetually directed upon the hearts of the Mu'mineen (Believers). The darkness inherent in nafs and Shaytaan then falls upon our hearts. As such, our hearts are far from receiving the full shine of Allah Ta’ala’s luminous Countenance.

Those hearts that are extremely negligent, experience a total eclipse; others that make the attempt of being mindful of their duties to Allah Ta’ala, experience partial eclipses of their hearts when they succumb to the wiles of nafs and Shaytaan.

When we will throw dust into the faces of our enemies, nafs and Shaytaan, and deny them any nearness to our hearts then our hearts will become recipient to the Tajalli of Allah Ta’ala.

…Not only will this noor remove the darkness of our hearts; it will be the means of illuminating thousands; nay, millions of other hearts.