MENACE IN RED

"You know what it is whenever I visit, windy city she blowing me kisses

"You know what it is whenever I visit, windy city she blowing me kisses."

———

Philippe Chow, New York
May 6, 2019
9:06 p.m.
Onika Tanya Maraj

Kenny G played faintly setting the room at ease. This mouthful of chicken satay was the only thing keeping me from having Gise's head. She knows I hated for her to be late. Only because she was a punctual person overall, so whenever she was behind on schedule I couldn't help but think of the worst.

I just know she is raising hell and brimstone for whoever is the cause of her running late to see me. Grabbing a hold of my phone on the table and opening the messages app, I decided to be petty and mess with her. Serves her good. Making me wait.

Where are u, Gise? Don't make me call my side to keep me company.

Watch your mouth. Gelo has us in traffic in Canarsie. I'm about to fuck him up.

What u wearing mamí?

My man coming to the table bby. Tlk later.

...

Swiping down on my screen, I push the do not disturb button instantly laughing with my hand covering my mouth. She's gonna have my ass for that later.

Observing the other patrons seated in the dimly lit establishment, I began toying with the Audemars Piguet doused in VVS diamonds Gisé had gifted me for my twenty-sixth birthday. Shaking my head, I chuckle at the memory.

Buckhead, Atlanta
December 7, 2018
11:02 p.m.
Onika Tanya Maraj

Trilling floods my car interior for the umpteenth time as I pull the car to a stop waiting for the light to turn green. Jabbing my finger onto the green button on the screen with a sigh, I regrettably answer. "What Gisé? I'm fucking spent, and you calling my phone right now to interrogate me concerning my whereabouts is something I could do without right now." The light finally changes, and I resume on the short drive to my home.

I'd recently closed down on my first home down over in Buckhead, and I couldn't be any more proud of the name and life that I established for myself down here in the dirty south. Sleek and modern in design. I simply couldn't pass up on the opportunity. Although it was my second piece of property, this acquisition in particular felt different this time around. There was a tangible shift in the universe for me, and I felt it the minute the silver landed in my palm.