Thirty

Me

Hey mum. I wanna talk about yesterday.

Mum

Me too.

Me

Come over?

Mum

Sure. Be there in a few.

***

A little while later there was a knock at the door. I opened it and was greeted by my mum looking guilty and sad. Behind her was Saskia and dad. I was confused as to why they were all here but nonetheless let them both in. I shot Sas a "why are you here" look and she simply shrugged in response.

The four of us sat on the sofa and mum started talking.

"I'm sorry, Nat. What I said was out of line and mean."

"Yup," I responded slightly moodily.

"I have an explanation. That's why I invited Sas. You both need to know something."

I looked around at Saskia and gestured for mum to continue.

Suddenly her eyes teared up and she hid her face in her hands.

"Mum, what's wrong?" Saskia asked.

"Your dad will have to say it," she managed to say between sobs.

We looked expectantly to dad.

"Ok, well, basically, last month I was diagnosed with lung cancer."

"WHAT?!" I screamed, not believing what I'd just heard.

"It's true."

Saskia already had tears trickling down her cheeks, "How long do you have left?"

"Only 5 months," he stated solemnly.

"Why didn't you tell us?"

"Well, Natalie, you were off having fun with your friends, I didn't want to ruin that for you."

I walked over to him and hugged him tightly. I told mum to come over and she did. All four of us hugged, silently crying for at least 20 minutes.

"Mum, I understand why you want me to stay now. I don't have to go. I'll stay here with you guys." I said.

"No, dear, you should keep on with your life as normal. Like you said, you have a wedding to plan. And you'd better get it done quick if you want dad to be there."

This made me start crying again. I didn't know what to do.

Should I stay with my dad or should I go and be with Ian to prepare for the wedding?

I was torn, but I tried not to think about it too much.

A few hours later my family left and I decided to call Ian.

"Hello?" came his perfect voice down the line.

"Hey, Ian."

"Hey, how did it go with your mum?"

Tears threatened to spill from my eyes again, but I blinked them away.

"She's fine with me moving to America, and she apologised so I guess that's good."

Ian paused for a few seconds.

"Why don't you sound happier about that?"

"Because I found out the reason she broke down in the first place." Now the tears started to fall once again.

"Oh yeah?" he prompted.

Between tears, I managed to squeak out, "My... dad has .... lung.. cancer."

Ian went silent again.

"Oh, Natalie, I'm so sorry."

I didn't respond.

"You should stay with him. We can postpone the weddi-"

"No," I said, "I want him to be there. I need to come to America and plan that wedding."

"Are you sure?" Ian asked cautiously.

"Yes."

We continued to talk for a few minutes before he had to go and film.

That night I stayed up crying. My life was so messed up....

9+ votes for more :)

Aw this is so sad!

Also

I have the flu. Kmn. Fml. I only ever get ill when I have plans fgs.