1 ~ Thief

"Hey! Get back here!"

Sans was running. Running as fast as his legs possibly could, a bag of stale bread slices clutched in his hand. They were gaining on him. They'd take the bread back. He couldn't let them do that. Not when Papyrus needed it.

"Give us back our food, ya little thief!"

Thief. Sans didn't like that term, despite how accurate it was. As he twisted and turned through the maze of alleyways in New Home, he tried to think of a better word.

Borrower. Yeah that's it. I'm just borrowing the bread... with no intention of returning it.

He felt a surge of magical energy behind him, and only just managed to duck out of the way as a giant sword flew through the air straight at where his skull was. He allowed himself a split-second grin before darting away once again.

The yells behind him were growing louder and more agitated as the monsters grew more and more tired.

"You'll...huff...give us back the bread...huff...or else...!"

"or else what?" Sans asked, turning around to face the three monsters.

One of them sneered at him. "Or else this." He stood up straight, summoning a huge magic trident which he threw straight at Sans.

Good thing he'd been taught to have quick reflexes.

In the split second that he had before the trident would hit him, Sans ducked and threw himself to the side just in time. The trident flew right past his skull and slammed into the wall behind him. Using the resulting dust cloud as cover, Sans dashed away, finally losing the monsters for good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sans?"

As Sans made his way into the dark alley where him and Papyrus had set up a small shelter, he heard his little brother's voice from the shadows. Moving closer, he saw Papyrus watching him, curled up in a small blanket Sans had scavenged for him just a few days ago.

"hey, bro," Sans said softly, not wanting to alert any of the royal guard that they were here, "i brought something for ya." He handed the bag of bread to Papyrus, who let out a happy "Nyeh heh heh!" of surprise. Sans quickly put a hand to his mouth to signal quietness. The royal guards were always on the prowl for monsters out of place.

Sans, who was still just under eighteen years old, had not been legally declared an adult. If Papyrus and him were caught living on the streets, they would be forced into an orphanage or children's home or something. And when they found out who their parents were...

It had been many years since the first monster war, but the effects of it were still present in the Underground's current society. Any monster with any known relations to certain monsters in the war was immediately imprisoned and depending on the severity of the situation, sometimes the punishments were worse. Sans and Papyrus' parents had been major authority figures for the opposite side, and therefore had to be kept secret.

It wasn't too bad, honestly. The brothers were very adept at keeping on the down low when on the streets, and only had a little less than most people. But even still, Sans couldn't help but imagine what it must be like to live in the castle with anything he and Papyrus ever needed right at their fingertips...

"Sans!"

Papyrus' hushed whisper broke Sans from his thoughts.

"what is it, bro?" He asked casually, before glancing over to the opening of the alley. His heart dropped straight into his stomach (metaphorically speaking) as he took in the figure of a large, muscular monster. Sans' first thought was royal guard, but soon realized that the royal guard always wore their armor around. This monster, although very difficult to distinguish in the darkness, was most definitely not wearing a full suit of armor.

"Who are you?" Sans asked, still cautious. The monster tilted his head at the two skeletons, but said nothing. For a few moments, they all merely stared at each other, until the monster swiftly strode out of the alley, dropping a silver coin behind him as he left.

Neither of the two skeletons even attempted to move until they were completely sure the monster was gone. When they felt confident, Papyrus immediately went to retrieve the coin the monster had dropped.

"Woah, Sans look at this!"

Papyrus sprinted back to where Sans sat on the ground and shoved the coin only two centimeters away from his eyesockets. Sans took the coin and began to examine it. It wasn't like any coin he had ever seen before. While most coins in the underground were gold and engraved with many pictures and words, this one was almost completely blank, apart from three things. Two numbers, and the word River.

"What's it mean, Sans?" Papyrus asked eagerly, practically bouncing with anticipation.

"i dunno," Sans replied, turning the coin over in his hand. "we'll investigate tomorrow. for now, let's try to get some sleep."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Until I can figure out what I need to do for The Choice, this is the story I'm going to be working on!

This is an Undertale AU I thought of and I really wanted to write. However, it's more of a side project, so updates may be infrequent and spaced out. The plot line, though almost complete, is still in progress so I may go in and change things from time to time. I may end up rewriting this chapter eventually, just so it makes more sense later on.

Some plot points may not make much sense as of right now, but they will be explained later. Feel free to leave any constructive criticism you have so I can write this story the best I can!

I think I told a few people about some of the story I was thinking of a long time ago. Let's just say these ideas have changed a lot.

But yeah. I don't have much else to explain here, so welcome to UnderRevolution.