4 ~ A Rebellion

Sans had never been in a conversation quite this awkward. In fact, he had hardly been in conversations at all, disregarding the ones with various monsters trying to kill him and his frequent chats with Papyrus. However, striding down the silent, stone hallway with the big monster brought a whole new meaning to the word "uncomfortable". Any question of where he was or what was going on was met with either a grunt of frustration or a vague reply that left him, if possible, even more confused than before. It didn't really help that the monster looked even more terrifying up close. He was almost twice Sans' height, had a wolf-like face which Sans recognized to be similar to one of the Snowdin locals, was covered in thick, gray fur, and looked as though he could crush Sans like a bug if he felt like it. This didn't really bother Sans, as his desire for answers far outweighed his fear of being attacked.

"so... you gotta name?" Sans asked, trying to spark some sort of dialogue between the two of them.

"Shut up," the monster said in frustration. Clearly, Sans was getting on his nerves. Far from getting him to stop, this annoyance only gave Sans more motivation to keep pestering.

"wow, never met someone called "shut up" before! what an interesting name!"

The big monster, AKA "Shut Up", sent another glare at Sans.

"If I tell you my name will you stop asking stupid questions?"

Sans shrugged in reply. The big monster grunted.

"The name's Ronin. Now be quiet. We're almost there."

Sans was about to ask "almost where?" But stopped at the look Ronin gave him. The two of them continued on in silence and Sans quickly began to notice the state of the hallway around them changing. The stone walls and floor became tiled and shiny, and more doors and windows were showing up. These windows showed what seemed to be training rooms, where monsters of all shapes and sizes practiced their sparring technique. Sans saw all sorts of magical attacks, such as the standard white attack, blue attacks, orange attacks, and many tricks that turned an opponent's soul a different color.

"-And who exactly is this?"

Sans looked up to see a tall snake-like monster staring down at him in suspicion. She had emerald green scales that matched the color of her eyes, wore a loose fitting gray shirt and dark pants. She also had a tan jacket with many badges and pockets flung over her shoulder. Sans took one look at the fluffy collar and was immediately jealous of how comfy it must be.

"Don't worry Evra," Ronin said. "He's with me. I was taking him to get a test of his combat ability, in case he wants to join."

"join what?!" Sans asked, growing tired being ignored as if he wasn't even there. Evra crouched down so she was eye level with him.

"What's your name, kid?" She asked.

"sans," Sans replied warily, not fully trusting the monster in front of him.

"Age?"

"seventeen."

Evra stood back up and faced Ronin. "Alright. I'll be taking him from here. You go grab a couple Sea Teas from the meal room and meet me back here later. I'm going to go check on Sans' battle stats."

Ronin cast a glance at Sans, then back to Evra. "And if he isn't qualified?"

"We will cross that bridge when we get to it."

Ronin hesitated for only a moment before heading off back down the hallway they came from. Evra briskly began walking down a hallway to their right and Sans had to jog to keep up with her.

"look," he said, "i honestly have no clue what's going on here. can you at least tell me where i am?"

Sans figured Evra, being much more conversational with him in the thirty seconds he had met her than Ronin had been in their entire hall walk, would be much easier to get information out of. And he was right. Evra glanced down at him before replying.

"You're in a secret location that houses one of the largest groups of people in the entire  underground. It's here that we train monsters to defend themselves in a society that every day becomes more ruthless and selfish. It is also here that we are organizing a ragtag group of monsters who will one day overthrow the king and restore peace to the Underground."

Sans felt his soul skip a beat at these words. "you mean... you're starting a rebellion?"

Evra gave a small smile. "We prefer the term revolution, but yes. Basically the same thing."

"and you want me to join?" Sans asked in disbelief. "why me?"

"We currently have sentries stationed at every major location in the underground. Ronin was stationed near you, and he saw how you learned to survive through your skill and talent. You not only managed to keep yourself alive, you also protected your younger brother as well."

This last sentence immediately brought a wave of panic upon Sans who had completely forgotten. "oh annoying dog, papyrus! he's probably worried sick!"

"Relax," Evra said as Sans began wildly looking for an exit to get back to New Home. "Papyrus is okay. We sent a couple monsters for him when we brought you in. I'm impressed with how quickly he's gaining magic skill. He used a gravitational effect on one of our recruits to great success. I'm guessing you've been teaching him?"

Sans rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "umm... kinda? he mostly just picks it up. he wants to be part of the royal guard when he grows up so he's learning as much as he can now."

Evra nodded. "I see. Well, he's currently sparring with some of our younger trainees. Once we finish with you we can go see him."

Sans nodded as he and Evra stepped into a brightly lit training room to begin the test.