Chapter Fourteen: Well okay then

Work dragged on and the weeks passed by. Sherlock and John became quite close friends in the short space of time as they always seemed to be out on a case of some sort. Sherlock acted as the brains; solving the murders that had Scotland Yard stumped. John acted as the assistant and the heart; typing up whatever antics they'd both get up to and making sure Sherlock didn't upset anyone too greatly. They seemed to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, completing each other.

In all of Sherlock's whizzing around with his new friend you'd been more or less forgotten. The consulting detective rarely seemed to be at St Barts these days, always carrying out experiments in his kitchen according to Mrs Hudson. If you'd been told that Sherlock would actually stop bothering you in only a few weeks time you would have waited for the moment to arrive with great impatience. Now however, you found yourself missing whatever talks you'd had together, no matter if they were argumentative or relatively peaceful.

As much as you hated to admit it, you missed spending time with Sherlock Holmes.

It was eating away at you, a hunger for adventure that couldn't be satisfied until something exciting had happened. Sure, you were still hanging out with Molly but she had become rather subdued since Sherlock rejected her and you were finding it hard to lift her spirits. The amount of work you were having to do had increased so you had even less time to actually see her, constantly being given more work.

The weekend came around and found yourself with nothing to do as per usual.. Talking was coming from Sherlock's flat but that wasn't unusual. Or rather, Sherlock and John's flat. The voices were loud but not shouting. At least not yet anyway. Ever since Sherlock had met John and become more involved in cases, people had been traipsing through the building with 'mysteries' for the dynamic duo to solve.

Together, they'd already worked out who was causing the supposed suicides a few weeks ago, which John had cleverly called 'A Study In Pink' on his blog, which was becoming popular at an alarming rate. Not only this but they'd also managed to locate a hairpin that cost £9 million. You sighed and pressed your fingers to your eyelids. This life of boredom and solitude was crushing you and you needed to do something exciting. Anything.

An abrupt rap on the door to your flat wrenched you from your daydream as Sherlock walked in, plonking himself down on one of the chairs that decorated your apartment. You raised an eyebrow and swizzled around on the chair, planting your feet on the ground.
"Um, may I help you?"

Sherlock shrugged.
"I don't know, I just sort of...arrived." You sighed and stood up.
"Well, if that's all you wanted to say you may as well leave. I'm going to get groceries anyway so I'll catch you later." Sherlock nodded his head slowly and then left the room again without another word.

You picked up a shopping bag and exited the building, a little down in the dumps at the prospect of walking around a supermarket for the next hour or so.

~1 hour later~

Just as you'd imagined, you had finished shopping in exactly an hour and were looking forward to settling down back at home. As you walked you thought about Sherlock. He'd been quite busy yesterday because this person or rather, criminal, had appeared almost out of the blue with a puzzle for him. Several puzzles actually.

Sherlock had refused to tell you the name of this person. Or at least, who he believed to be behind it. Even though you hated being left in the dark about what was happening you still did understand. The more you knew about what was occurring, the more danger you were in. So you had to just let it lie.

Yesterday, Sherlock had found a pair of shoes that were sitting in the centre of your flat. You'd been out at the time so hadn't been around to notice anyone breaking in. This had obviously peaked Sherlock's interest, causing him to be more active than usual. You shook your head in effort to dispel the thoughts that were putting you on edge.