XLVII

AIMEE WAITED ALONE IN CABIN THIRTEEN.

Annabeth and Rachel were due any minute for the head counselors' meeting, and Aimee needed time to think.

Her dreams the night before had been worse than she'd wanted to share—even with Leo,Jason or Piper. Her memory was still foggy, but bits and pieces were coming back. The night Lupa had tested her at the Wolf House, to decide if she would be a pup or food. Then the long trip south to ... she couldn't remember, but she had flashes of her old life. The day she'd gotten her tattoo. The day Jason had been raised on a shield and proclaimed a praetor. Their friends' faces: Dakota, Gwendolyn, Hazel, Bobby,Sungjin, Reyna. And Zack. Definitely there'd been a boy named Zack. She wasn't sure what he'd meant to her, but the memory made her question herself a lot--it made her question her own feelings and emotions.

Aimee moved her stuff to the corner alcove where her brother had once slept. She put Nico's photograph back on the wall so she didn't feel alone. She stared up at the frowning statue of Hades, creepy and dark, but the statue didn't scare her anymore. It just made her feel sad.

"I know you can hear me,Father," Aimee said to the statue.Hades spoke to her more often than other godly parents spoke to their children but that's only because he really has nothing better to do,but most of the time Persephone is the one that answers her calls.

The statue said nothing. Its painted eyes seemed to stare at her.

"I wish I could talk with you in person," Aimee continued, "but I understand you can't do that. The Roman gods don't like to interact with mortals so much."

More silence. Aimee had hoped for something—a bigger than usual howl of a hellhound, a smile. No, never mind. A smile would've been creepy.

"I remember some things," she said. The more he talked, the less self-conscious he felt. "I remember that it's hard being a daughter of Pluto. Everyone is always looking at me as a creep and as major bad luck,I have Jason and all my friends, but I always feel alone. I guess you feel the same way down in the Underworld. The other gods don't accept or acknowledge your decisions. Sometimes you've got to make hard choices, and the others criticize you more than they would others. And you can't come to my aid like other gods might. You've got to keep me at a distance. I guess I just wanted to say ..."

Aimee took a deep breath looking down at her hands which started to shake. "I understand all that. It's okay. I'm going to try to do my best. I'll try to make you proud. But I could really use some guidance, Father. If there's anything you can do—help me so I can help my friends. I'm afraid I'll get them killed. I don't know how to protect them."

The back of her neck tingled. She realized someone was standing behind her. She turned and found a woman in a black hooded robe, with a goatskin cloak over her shoulders.

"Aunt Hera," she said smiling slightly.

She pushed back her hood. "To you, I have always been Aunt Juno. And your father has already sent you guidance, Aimee. He sent you Leo and Piper,he brought you to your adoptive brother Nico. Piper and Leo are not just your responsibility. They are also your friends. Listen to them, and you will do well."

"Did Jupiter send you here to tell me that?Doesn't he hate my dad?"

"No one sends me anywhere, hero," she said. "I am not a messenger."

"But you got me into this. Why did you send me and Jason to this camp?"

"I think you know," Juno said. "An exchange of leaders was necessary. It was the only way to bridge to gap."

"I didn't agree to it."

"No. But Hades gave your life to me, and I am helping you fulfill your destiny."