0 2 | WHAT ARE WE, FIVE?

- 0 2 -

- 0 2 -

Jess' POV 

Staring at each other for a few seconds, I painfully realise who that person is.

Gabriel Conte.

"Oh, Jesus! Are you kidding me?" He says in an equally irritable mood.

"You two know each other?" I hear Grandpa's voice. I guess Gabriel did too, seeing as he turns his head the slightest bit in grandpa's direction but doesn't break the eye contact with me.

It's like we are in some staring contest, none of us wanting to back down and look away first. 

"What are we, five?" Jacko's voice falls on my ears, startling me and making me look away. I don't miss the little smirk that makes its way on his face when he realises I am the one to look away first.

Asshole.

I give Jacko the deadliest glare I could muster. And it served its purpose it seems, seeing as he visibly flinches.

You deserve it.

"Sir, who is she?" I hear his cringe voice ask grandpa politely.

"Um..." Grandpa trails off, looking between me and him. "This is my granddaughter, Jessica Bauer. And like I said before, you should call her Jess."

"G-granddaughter?" He asks, shock evident in her voice.

"Yeah!" Suddenly grandpa pulls me by my elbow and holds my face near his, pressing our cheeks together.

"See? Don't you see the similarities?" He asks in a childish voice, pointing at our faces. Ugh, grandpa and his childishness! I fight his hold and stand back, glaring at his now thoughtful face. Slowly he nods and glances my way, before looking back at grandpa.

"So like I had informed, you'll be with the both of them for the first few days, or at least till the time they get used to the school. I hope it wouldn't much bothersome for you Gabriel?" I watch as he visibly gulps and looks one last time in my direction, before looking at Grandpa and offering him a kind smile.

"It'll be no problem, sir."

"Great!" Clapping his hand once, grandpa looks at us with a pleasant smile on his face.

"Enjoy your first day in Westmont High, children. And y'all can ask Gabriel if you have any problem or need help with anything. Good day!"

With that, I and Jacko exit the cabin behind him. Ugh! How did this happen? Why does he have to go to the same school? 

When we come beside the receptionist's desk, I see Gabriel groan and pinch the bridge of his nose. 

"The feeling's mutual," I say sarcastically and huff. Gabriel pauses, before lifting his head and looking at me with anger and hatred visible in his eyes. 

"You! Why do you have to be sir's granddaughter? He and his family are such great and honourable people. But you? Huh!" My mouth falls open in shock. How dare he?

"Did you just imply that..." I leave the sentence hanging in the air and look at him with an incredulous expression. 

"Whatever sails your boat." He says before looking away. 

"Yeah? Well, you? You are an egoistic, selfish and an idiot person to exist in this entire universe!" I stick my tongue out at him. To my surprise, he does the same. Huffing at him, I look away. 

"What are we, five?" I hear Jacko's voice. My eyes turn to look at him, who's watching our exchange with amusement in his eyes.

"What?" I ask him incredulously. Looking at my face, he immediately starts shaking his head and muttering a 'nothing'. I hear someone clearing their throat and look in their direction.

Gabriel is curling his fists by his side, a feeble attempt to control his anger in front of me. I smirk, a plan already formulating in my head.

"What is your first lecture?" He looks at Jacko and completely avoids looking at me. 

"Um...." Jacko looks at his schedule, and then my way. I pull my schedule from my folder and hand it to him. Glancing at it, he looks at Gabriel.

"We both have World History, 343." Jacko reads from the sheet of the paper. Gabriel hums in return, before turning away.

"I have the same class, so come with me." I hear his defeated voice, as he looks over his shoulder then continues walking forward. I start walking, but Jacko pulls me behind from the hood of my jacket.

"What's your problem, Jackson?"

"How do you know him?" I sigh, thinking hard. Should I tell him? Of course. But not now. Maybe later tonight.

"Mhmm, I do. But we'll talk later about this, yeah?" He looks at my face, searching for some hint. I offer him an assuring smile before saying, "I promise I'll tell you everything. Now can we go? Don't want to be late on my first day." He searches my face some more, before looking away and sighing. Shaking his head, he looks at me and returns my smile. Taking his hand in mine, I pull him with me and take off in the direction Gabriel just walked off.

"Oh, and Jess?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't you dare call me by my entire first name next time onwards, yeah?"