chapter twelve_happily ever after

Kenma was trapped. Trapped between two big, tanned arms.

"Kuroo, this isn't funny" Kenma said, trying to remain calm and processing the current situation. He was pinned against the wall by Kuroo. And they were in very, very close proximity. He could even feel Kuroo's breath on his cheek.

"Damn right this isn't funny. Now tell me, why have you avoiding me these past few days" Kuroo questioned, his hazel orbs stared into Kenma's own golden coloured ones. He already knew the answer, but he wanted to hear the words from Kenma's mouth. Otherwise he'd never be able to accept it.

"Kuroo, let me go." Kenma chose to ignore the question, pushing against the muscle-bound barriers that were stopping him from escaping.

"No, Kenma. I need answers. And I need them now. How long were you going to avoid me, huh? How long will I have to wait for a proper reply, without your girlfriend interupting?"

Kenma was silent, keeping his gaze on the ground. Kuroo let out a ragged sigh. "Look, I don't expect you to accept my feelings. Accept me. But I just want you to give a proper answer, be it a rejection or not. Please, can you just give me that?"

He pleaded, his vunerable voice almost unrecognisable compared to his usual smug tone. Kenma was frozen in place. 'Reject him? Will we still be friends after all this?'

Kenma knew it was naive to think that their friendship would still be the same after all the drama that has happened. He hadn't found the time to properly sit down and think about his feelings for Kuroo yet. He knew he cared about Kuroo, but did he look at him romantically?

Heck, he had problems identifying his own sexual orientation, let alone his feelings for Kuroo. Kenma could feel a migraine coming.

Kuroo was still intently staring at him. Kenma sneaked a quick glance at the raven's face. 'His eyes... They seem so lifeless.. '

"Kuroo.. I.."

"Just.. Just know that we'll always be.. friends, okay?" His voice cracked a bit at the end.

Kenma didn't need to look at his face to see through the lie. 'He doesn't mean it. Either that, or it'll never work out'

Kenma thought of all the possibilities, all the outcomes of this conversation. This one conversation that could possibly cost them their friendship that has lasted for so many years.

'What does it mean to love someone?' That was then Kenma remembered what his own mother had said a long time ago.

'If you find someone who makes you smile, who checks up on you often to see if you're okay, who watches out for you and wants the very best for you, don't let them go. Keep them close and don't take them for granted. People like that are hard to find. '

'Kuroo has always been there for me. He cares for me and watches out for me. He's even willing to give up on his own happiness for me.. If it's Kuroo... I wouldn't mind'

"Kuroo I..."

Kuroo hunched his shoulders and hung his head down. Finally, after so many nights tossing and turning in bed. Thinking.. Always thinking of what's going to happen. He was going to be free. Free from all these bittersweet feelings.

He was going to be rejected.

"I like you too."

What.

His mind went blank. He stared at Kenma with a dumbstruck expression, his brain barely processing his dear pudding head's words.

And then all at once, realisation hit him right in the face.