CHAPTER 15

The seatbelt sign comes on above me. We're descending into Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. I shift uncomfortably in my spot, still sore from my miracle lift in Argentina.  It seems like a million years ago but it was only a week as far as I know. I shut my eyes and reflect on what's happened to me.

        I've completely changed my appearance. I now have brown eyes and streaked black and blonde hair. I found a stack of passports and ID cards stowed in the backpack. I am now Chantelle Richardson, 18-year-old adult from Santa Fey, New Mexico who is transferring to Canada for educational reasons. It's the best story I can come up with.

        Once I had changed, I went into the truck stop diner and ate something. Just an omelette and French toast. I was starving but I didn't want to seem too suspicious. I left a tip and headed to the adjacent motel. I paid for the cheapest room and went upstairs without being questioned by the front desk for why I was on my own. I crashed then and there on the bed and cried. For the longest time I had to hold back my tears for the sake of others but I was alone now. I cried for Annie and Hanalei and Jonobi. I cried for June and Lance, I even cried for One, Two and Three. I cried myself to sleep and slept extremely hard. The nightmares didn't come for once and I slept in peace.

        I awoke two days later and I showered. It felt good to be clean again and I turned on the TV to relax and ordered room service. The earthquake was all over the news and there were 106 dead and 34 others missing, I prayed that none of those deceased were my friends. If they found Annie's body in the ruins of our apartment, I bet she couldn't be identified anyways. I was halfway through a bagel with cream cheese when I hear my identity. To my utter shock, my face was on screen and the story of me pulling the man from the rubble was a leading headline. I choke on my bagel and turn up the volume. They had interviewed the man I had rescued, who only suffered a broken rib and arm. He said that he wanted to find his guardian angel. They interviewed the neighbours and Hanalei and Jonobi, who said I was missing and they had not heard anything from me. They wanted any information on my whereabouts to reward me. I shut off the TV and felt sad again. I fell asleep and this time, I had a dream about Annie.

        She was in a field of flowers, reading just like she always did and she sees me approach. She smiles her smile at me and hugs me.

"I couldn't be more proud of you," the dream Annie says. "You must find the others now, it's time."  I try to hug Annie again but she vanishes. "Read the letter when you are ready but you mustn't give up."

        Her voice fades and I'm alone in the field. But where Annie was sitting, a simple daisy has grown. I know this as a sign that Annie is with me and watching over me.

        The next day I skip town after paying for my room. I make a deposit at the international bank account we own and I pay for a flight far away from here. I choose Canada as a change of scenery and hopefully a safer place. The flights were delayed for a couple of days due to the earthquake but eventually, I was airborne once again.

        I stare out my window and watch the rain fall on the wing. The pressure gets lower and lower until we touch down. I am nervous. I have never travelled to a new place before without Annie's voice explaining the next part of the plan or giving me a plot summary of a book she's just read. It's only me but for once...I don't cry. I feel ready to do this; Annie did prepare me for her imminent death on some level. Now I am prepared. I gather up my bags and walk off the plane.

Ready to face the future.