Prologue

It was quiet in Pallet Town. In one house, a girl was awake, despite how late it was. Her name was Autumn Breeze, and she was an official ten-year-old. The next day would be her first day as a Pokémon Trainer. The girl was excited; she had been waiting so long for that fateful day — the day she would go to Professor Oak's lab and choose from the three available starter Pokémon.

Autumn was watching TV with her Dragonair. Dragonair wasn't exactly Autumn's Pokémon; it was never actually captured. But it liked to be with Autumn, and also wanted to accompany her on her Pokémon journey the next day.

Dragonair was a long, serpentine Pokémon with sky blue scales and a white underside. Its violet eyes were dark and glossy. It had a smooth, rounded snout and a small, white horn on its forehead. Its head was flanked by two small, stylized wings, which were white and curved into a swirl at the base. Three blue, crystal orbs, one on its neck and two on its tail, adorned its body.

On the TV, Professor Oak appeared on the little screen. He had a long white lab coat, graying hair, and a red shirt underneath the coat. He presented three images of the starter Pokémon on a presentation. The three were known as Charmander — a Fire-type, Squirtle — a Water-type, and Bulbasaur — a Grass/Poison-type.

Charmander was a bipedal, reptilian Pokémon with a primarily orange body. Its underside from the chest down and soles were cream-colored. It had two small fangs visible in its upper jaw and two smaller fangs in its lower jaw. Charmander had blue eyes. Its arms and legs were short with four fingers and three clawed toes. A fire burned at the tip of the Pokémon's slender tail.

Squirtle was a small Pokémon that resembled a light blue turtle. It had large brown eyes and a slightly hooked upper lip. Each of its hands and feet had three pointed digits. The end of its tail curled inward. Its body was encased by a tough shell. The shell was brown on the top, pale yellow on the bottom, and had a thick white ridge between the two halves.

Bulbasaur was a small, quadruped Pokémon that had blue-green skin with darker green patches. It had red eyes with white pupils and scleras. It had pointed, ear-like structures on top of its head. Its snout was short and blunt, and it had a wide mouth. Each of its thick legs ended with three sharp claws. On its back was a green plant bulb.

"These three will be available to the young Trainers starting their Pokémon journeys tomorrow," Professor Oak informed. He smiled. "I will be expecting them in the morning." Then the program ended, and commercials came on.

"Isn't it exciting that we're starting our journey tomorrow, Dragonair?" Autumn asked cheerfully, looking over at the Dragon-type. She remembered finding it abandoned as a Dratini in the forest when she was seven, and played with it a lot since. Her mother, Lilac Breeze, even helped train Dratini with her Raichu, and Autumn got good practice out of it, too. When Autumn turned nine, Dratini had evolved into a Dragonair.

"Dragon! Dragonair!" said the Dragon-type. It coiled its lower body around Autumn's waist, and the girl proceeded to rub Dragonair under its chin. The Pokémon cooed happily. Neither of them noticed how late it was until Autumn's mother knocked on the door and opened it before the girl could allow entrance.

"Autumn!" the woman said, voice a bit harsh. "What're you doing up? It's almost midnight!"

"Oh! I had no idea!" Autumn gasped. Her head whipped around to the digital alarm clock on her nightstand. It read eleven forty-five. It made Autumn realize how tired she was, and she looked back at her mother. "I'm sorry, Mom. I didn't keep track of time. I-I'll go to bed now."

"Please do," her mother sighed. "I don't want to have you oversleep and end up being late to Professor Oak's lab. Who knows what'll happen then. Maybe he'll run out of Pokémon." She flashed a tired expression. "Just remember that I'm looking out for you, sweetheart. Goodnight."

"Night, Mom," Autumn said. She got out of Dragonair's gentle grip and walked over to hug her mother. The woman kissed her forehead before leaving the room, and Autumn yawned. She turned off the room light and the TV, then crawled into bed. Dragonair draped itself across the pink bedsheets and curled up.

"Goodnight, Dragonair," Autumn said softly before she turned off the lamp.

"Dragonair-air...," replied the Dragon-type tiredly.

Autumn stared at the ceiling for a bit, listening to the rhythmic breathing of Dragonair, then dozed off into her own little dream world.

---

Thanks for reading thus far! How do you like it? Please comment your opinions, and be sure to leave a vote if you liked it! Bye!

~ Lau