Chapter 2

"Ah, as usual, you're ready to run into anything head-on, Gary," Professor Oak pointed out, folding his arms. He wasn't upset, though. "You've never had an official Pokémon Battle before. Oh well. This can be your first. You two can battle outside. I don't want anything in here wrecked. Not that I don't trust you two."

"That's okay, Professor," Autumn responded. "We understand."

"Yeah, yeah," Gary said, waving a hand limply towards his grandfather. He then gave Autumn a smug look. "You're going down. Let's go."

Autumn and Charmander followed Gary and his Squirtle outside, and they went down the long flight of stairs. The Professor followed them, too. Soon enough, the group stopped at the base of the stairs, and Gary faced Autumn. Squirtle did, too.

"This will be a one-on-one Pokémon Battle between Autumn and Gary. Each side can only use one Pokémon, and the battle will be over when either side is unable to battle," Professor Oak informed, standing on the last step. He gave the two space to fight. "Ready? Beg —!"

"Hold on, Gramps," Gary interrupted. Quickly, the boy whipped out his Pokédex and scanned Squirtle. It gave him the Pokédex entry, and then the moves. Autumn heard them from where she stood; the machine spoke with the same robotic voice as her own.

"Squirtle is a male and knows the following moves: Tackle, Tail Whip, Water Gun, and Fake Out," said the Pokédex. "Its ability is Torrent."

"We'll have to watch out for Water Gun," Autumn murmured, loud enough for Charmander to hear, but not for Gary and Squirtle. The Fire Lizard Pokémon looked over its shoulder and nodded in agreement with its trainer.

"Okay. Are you ready now, Gary?" Professor Oak asked. Gary nodded, and the Researcher looked at Autumn. "Are you, dear?"

"Ready as I'll ever be!" Autumn responded as her Charmander growled at their opponents.

"Okay," Professor Oak spoke. He examined both Charmander and Squirtle, then said, "Begin!"

"Charmander, use —"

"Fake Out, Squirtle!" Gary cut off Autumn abruptly. Squirtle rushed forward with decent speed and slapped Charmander, causing the Fire-type to flinch and stumble slightly. "Now blast it away with Water Gun!" the boy exclaimed. Squirtle snickered before spraying a full-on jet of water at Charmander. Autumn's starter was blasted away, and it toppled over.

"Are you okay!?" Autumn asked fearfully as Squirtle leaped back and returned to its position in front of Gary. She watched in anticipation as the Fire Lizard Pokémon struggled to its feet. Then, Autumn sighed in relief and stared when Charmander's flame began to blaze fiercely. It looked at Squirtle and snarled. It took an exaggerated step forward, but the Water-type hardly flinched.

"Great job, Charmander! Use Growl!" Autumn ordered. The Fire-type stomped its foot and let out an intimidating roar. This put Gary's Squirtle on edge, and it winced at the harsh, scary sound.

"Shrug it off, Squirtle," Gary said. He swiped a hand to be side and ordered, "Use Water Gun." The Tiny Turtle Pokémon blasted another powerful jet of water and aimed for Charmander.

"Dodge it!" Autumn exclaimed, growing a bit nervous. It was bad enough that Charmander got hit by the super effective attack at close range. Another one could easily be the end of it.

Charmander did as it was told willingly. The Fire-type began to run on all fours — giving it a boost — with the Water Gun attack following close behind. It ran in circles around Squirtle until the Water-type gave up and stopped in order to catch its breath after holding the attack for so long.