Chapter 8

Featherpaw woke to the sound of many cats in the clearing. 

She left the den and was greeted with the sight and scent of unfamiliar cats. It seemed the whole clan had gathered to see what was going on. Featherpaw found a spot next to Wolfcall and Cloverpaw. 

Just then, LynxStar left her den and the cats stepped aside as she confronted the new cats. 

"Who are you?" The leader asked calmly. The first cat, a ginger she-cat, bowed her head. 

"My name is Whiskers. And this is Blade" She pointed at the black tom standing beside her. 

"Why have you entered out camp?" LynxStar demanded. 

"W-we are lost with our friends and we were attacked by rogues!! Can you please help?" Whiskers begged. 

"Why should we?" Brokentalon hissed from the crowd. Most of the cats joined in with the protest. 

"We will help" She raised her voice over the screeching cats and they instantly fell silent. 

"What?!" Sharpflight hissed. 

"We will send a patrol. Rainfall, DawnFlame, Featherpaw, Wolfcall. You will go on the patrol. Whiskers, lead the way" Lynxstar ignored Sharpflight's hostility. 

"Wait" Blade hissed. "I don't trust these wild cats" He growled. 

"And why should we trust you?" Lynxstar retorted. Blade hissed.

 "Are you calling us liars?!" He challenged. Without giving Lynxstar a chance to reply, he leapt at her, scratching across her muzzle. Scarlet drops of blood fell onto the ground as Blade swiped at Lynxstar again, who was swiping at the air hopelessly trying to defend herself.

 "Wait!" Shimmermist screeched, jumping between the two fighting cats. 

"If we are going to help you, and trust you, why are you fighting us?" She asked furiously. Blade looked at the she-cat and unsheathed his claws again. He scraped his claws across her muzzle, tossing her aside, bleeding.

 "If you cannot defend yourselves, how will you help us?" Blade taunted. 

"You have not seen the last of me" He meowed over his shoulder as he padded out of camp, Whiskers behind him. Featherpaw stared after him, eyes wide. How dare he waltz into out camp and attack our leader? She rushed over to her leader and realized that she was losing a life. "W-what life was that?" She asked Mudflower, who sat next to the leader's body, bowed her head in sadness. 

"I'm afraid it was her last" She meowed, choking back tears. Honeypaw sat beside her, staring at the leader's bloody body in disbelief. 

"Splashprint" Honeypaw meowed. "You must visit the moonpool to receive your nine lives from starclan"

"alright" Splashprint agreed.

 "But first, I say these words before the body of Lynxstar, so that her spirit may hear and approve my choice. Vixentail will be the new deputy of Lightclan." The new leader yowled for all the clan, who were already huddled around her. 

"Vixentail, Vixentail!" the clan yowled. 

"I will have to go with you" Mudflower meowed after the noise had died down. Splashprint nodded. 

"Can you handle by yourself while I go with Splashprint?" The medicine cat asked her apprentice, Honeypaw, who nodded reluctantly.