Chapter 9 - Choke

Chapter 9 - Choke

I woke up the next morning—a Saturday—to the sound of Dad running around the house, screeching into his phone.

"What do you mean someone left mannequins in the school? Why would they do that?"

Yikes.

I pushed myself upright, rubbing my eyes until the blur of sleep cleared and my vision sharpened.

"Okay, did the security camera pick up anything?"

I padded out of my bedroom and spotted Dad in the lounge, one leg propped up on the coffee table like a Texan cowboy as he thought deeply. He nodded upon seeing me, then returned his attention to the call.

"What?" he screeched. "No, Tony, back up. I need to make sure I heard you correctly. The footage shows arches of white stuff covering the camera?"

I had to bite my lips to prevent any emotion from betraying me. I scuttled into the bathroom before Dad could see my face, but I kept the door open to continue listening.

"I suppose that makes sense," Dad continued. "But where would freshmen get a dozen mannequins for a mid-year prank? Was there anything else?"

He fell into silence. I quickly stabbed some toothpaste onto my toothbrush and made loud, brushing noises.

"Got it, I'll check in with you later," Dad said.

I heard the plop of his cellphone landing on the couch. Dad's footsteps approached. His head craned into the bathroom, and I busied myself with spitting spearmint bubbles out of my mouth.

"Morning, Dad," I said innocently, meeting his eyes through the mirror reflection. "What was that?"

"Vandalism at Altswood High, apparently," he answered. "A collection of mannequins were dumped in the office. I don't suppose you know anything about it?"

I wasn't technically lying when I frowned and said, "No, I don't know anything about mannequins at Altswood High. Why?"

Dad didn't reply. He only hmm-ed, and retreated up to his office.

I knew it was the mannequins' wigs that had brought forward the question, but at best, it was a tenuous connection to me. Besides, apart from the broken window, there had been little harm caused by the mannequins, so there was no reason to continue chasing the issue. If anyone tried to accuse me of setting them there, I still had the half-hour long video from last night on my phone.

I splashed water on my face, shuddering at the thought of the lifeless mannequins. I tried to push the sight of their beady eyes out of my head.

Once I looked less like a human disaster, I left the bathroom and dragged myself into the kitchen, rummaging through the cupboards for food. I had just downed a piece of toast when my phone buzzed, and when it buzzed three more times before I had even picked it up, I knew it couldn't be good.

9:32 AM Annabelle Martinez: luca + gabriel, did last night's plans change or???

9:32 AM Annabelle Martinez: why is Talia Singh posting conspiracy theories on snapchat about you two planting mannequins at the school

9:32 AM Annabelle Martinez: i hate that girl, no lie

9:32 AM Gabriel Kingston: i have no idea why Talia Singh has become an expert on school vandalism now

9:32 AM Gabriel Kingston: but we didn't put them there

9:32 AM Jules Sodrepena: the adults seem to have settled on a freshmen prank??