Jake Riley - "You are my sunshine"

You shivered. The heating had stopped working days ago and even the enormous amount of blankets couldn't keep you warm anymore. You hated the lockdown. You hated the government leaving you all in here to rot. You hated the people losing their damn minds.

"Are you okay there?" Jake leaned against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest. He hadn't really said much since the two of you had ended up stuck here in the hospital. Not that there seemed to be much to say in the first place.

"Are you?" You looked up from the book you were reading. You had never been good at biology and physics, but reading something you didn't understand was still better than doing nothing all day while waiting for someone to come up with a brilliant solution to get this whole crap over with.

"No..." Jake shook his head. "I burned the bodies of two children today." He moved his hand through his hair. "Children..." He sighed while he repeated the last word. "They've barely seen a damn thing of this world and now they're dead."

"I'm sorry." You didn't know what else to say.

"This shouldn't be happening. This entire thing shouldn't be happening." Jake sat down on the empty bed across the room. "I shouldn't be in the middle of this freaking mess!" He raised his voice and pressed his hands to his temples. "I hate this entire thing!" He slammed the wall behind him and you tensed all your muscles. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." He took a deep breath. "I'm a cop, but I'm probably the worst company ever in situations like this." He shoved backwards and leaned against the headboard. "I'm sorry you don't get to pick and choose. You're stuck with me, I'm afraid."

"I don't mind." You shook your head. You didn't want to know what would have happened if you had not had him. You had always been good at being alone, but somehow you were glad that you had someone to talk to, someone who felt as powerless and useless as you felt. Someone who was as afraid as you were that he'd never come out of this hospital again. "You might be a cop, but you're also only human."

Jake coughed and he raised his eyebrows. "I'm not supposed to be only human, not in situations like this." He paused for a moment. "I'm not the hero I should be. And I don't want to be that hero either. Just like everyone else I just want to survive." He curled his lips up to form a mocking smile. "Doesn't sound like a cop to me. Not even an only human one."

"Maybe you're not a hero for everyone within the cordon." You looked at him and waited until he locked his eyes with yours. "But you are to me." You licked your lips. "You are my sunshine in the darkest and scariest moment of my life, because you make me feel less alone, less hopeless, less afraid."

"By slamming the wall and screaming that I want to get the hell out of here?" Jace shook his head in disbelief.

"Yes, because somehow..." You stared at him for a moment. "Somehow it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one feeling like crap." You smiled and Jake smiled back at you.

"I'm glad you're feeling less crappy because I feel like crap too." His shoulders relaxed a little. "Actually, I think strangely enough that comment made me feel a little bit better too."