A Stolen Gift

Kim Chang Min

She dropped her bracelet.

"Miss?" Chang Min called out.

Instead of turning around, the girl pretended like she hadn't heard him and stormed off. He scoffed. If she'd only knew she had just run away from the crowned prince of Korea, the silly girl would-

What?

Faint?

Most girls who ever laid eyes on him mentally or physically fainted, not because his face was brutally hideous; quite the opposite, really. It delighted him that his appearance could dumbfound every girl in the country. Except for this one, of course. He was shocked at the glimmer of annoyance in her eyes, for only his closest friends would dare look at him in such ways.

Ha, like he had any.

Chang Min knew most of the people in the palace found him insufferable, including his own father, the King. None of the forced companionships set up by his parents lasted long enough to become his friends. The crowned prince couldn't complain. He liked being alone.

He held the bracelet in his hands, the smooth stones soft against his touch. A little bronze lock was threaded in with the stones, and Chang Min thought it was rather... silly. He narrowed his eyes and secured the bracelet in his pocket. He wouldn't risk the chance that someone can easily steal it, perhaps she'll walk here again, and he can give it back to her.

"Your highness!"

Urgh. How many times had he demanded not to be called that title in public? Chang Min let out an exasperated sigh. He didn't need to look back and know it was Kim Byung-ho, the fat eunuch that followed him around like a dog. Byung-ho was heaving ferociously in his noblemen's disguise, his tomato-red cheeks stained with sweat. He stopped running to bend down and wiped his forehead.

"Your highness, I think... the... the maidens... have entered... the palace," He heaved, "Wow, it almost seemed like you were... intentionally running away from me."

The crowned prince rolled his eyes, "The ladies can wait a little longer," He said as he strode across the bridge.

"Your highness!" Byung-ho urged, "Your mother asks for your attendance today. She will surely punish me if you are not there on time!"

Chang Min stopped mid-step and turned to meet Byung-ho's worrisome eyes. Mother. Throughout the cloud of resentment and loneliness, she was the person who had always been there for him. And when Chang Min fought against the King's arranged marriage for him, his mother was there to bring forth the idea of this circus parade. She said it would entertain the country and, most importantly, give him time to find a suitable companion. And if he couldn't choose a wife before his mother's spectacle was done, the King will arrange him with some other noblemen's daughter.

The last thing Chang Min needed was a wife. He didn't want to be married, especially not to those girls who desired him only for the crown. Chang Min wanted to travel west and find his own soulmate in his own time. But what he wanted was utterly impossible. The crowned prince had no other choice but to say yes and play the role of a gentlemanly prince for the ladies... which included being punctual.

He eyed the poor eunuch with a devilish grin, "I wonder what sorts of punishment my mother will bestow upon you this time, Byung-ho?" The prince smirked.

The eunuch gulped, "I can only imagine, your highness."

Chang Min sighed and reluctantly walked back to Byung-ho as they headed to the palace.

•¤•

"Yin Jidam, daughter of Yin Hung Wo," The announcer declared.