The Ball

Kim Chang Min

"The ball is the best opportunity to seek out the ladies of your interest, Chang Min," His mother grinned as she smoothed away the nonexistent wrinkles on his hanbok.

"Ladies and the people love a prince with manners, so for the sake of this country, I ask you to behave tonight."

The crowned prince mentally sighed. When will his mother realize he was a grown man who didn't need a child's lecture?

None of the less, he obliged, "Yes, Mother."

"You remember to dance with all of the ladies, yes? And especially that Lady Yin Jidam that you haven't apologized to--

"Pardon me, your grace," Byung-ho squeaked as he peeked his head out from the door.

For once, Chang Min was relieved to see Byung-ho's worrisome face, unlike the queen, whose discussion with her son was interrupted. Like the refined woman she was, his mother forced back her annoyance and turned to the eunuch with an unperturbed smile.

"Yes?" She hissed.

"My deepest apologies, My Queen," Byung-ho gulped, "But I believe, the crowd of ladies out there are begging for the prince's presence."

Just wonderful. And here, the prince thought he was relieved to see Byhung-ho, his most trusted friend, who was practically throwing him to the tigers.

"Why, that's not a problem at all!" His mother beamed, "He shall be out there at once."

And with that, his sentence to death was scheduled. Arm and armed with his rather exuberant mother, Lee Chang Min trudged across the large room as if he was walking in knee-deep mud. Every footstep clinging to the floor while his bulldozer of a mother pulled him forward. He knew in her own way, she was helping him.

The queen had a life that was already planned out for her; every step and decision she took or made was somebody else's, and Chang Min, being her son, will have to endure the same fate. In some ways, this bride circus parade was a gift from his mother to at least have one decision that the queen, herself, never had a chance to make. It was either this or being forced into something he wasn't ready for or will ever be.

They walked through several large corridors until Byung-ho halted to a stop at the grand entrance. He motioned for the guards to open the large gate that separated him from a swarm of powdered and perfumed wasps.

"It's a masked ball, darling. I thought of the idea since you seem so interested in foreign culture," His mother beamed as she pulled out a black mask.

The mask resembled two large, black-feathered wings with eye slits and a small elegant beak that covered his nose. His mother tied the strings around his head and smiled, "My handsome raven prince."

She then pulled on her own mask that was the color of gold with sprinkles of emerald stones the size of teardrops. Those were our family's jewels. Chang Min wondered why his mask was an ink raven instead of the infamous colors of the royal house.

He gave her a tight grin, his way of saying a silent thank you and nodded towards Byung-ho to open the gates.

"Her Majesty, the queen Kim Hoo So and His highness, the crowned prince... Kim Chang Min!" The guard announced.

In unison, the massive crowd of aristocrats deeply bowed their heads. The ball was held behind the front gates of the palace. Small orbs of festive lights hung on branches of the changing autumn trees while refined men and ladies garb in Korea's finest silk and jewellery converse with one another through gossip. There was live music, water dancers, enough food for all the homeless citizens in Kaesong, and the crowned prince was the center of it all.

Avoiding suggestive and sugar-coated eyes of the young maidens, the queen and Chang Min strode across the party to the podium where the king and his trusted advisers were dining. People parted as he moved along the crowd, his eye straight and forward while his mother nodded greetings. Most of the people were masked. Thankfully, he could recognize who was who, so he wouldn't be oblivious to his surroundings and the people in them.

At last, they reached the podium where a cornucopia of food was displayed, overflowing with roasted seasoned chickens, steamy hot bean buns, and vibrant arrays of fruits and desserts. Before the feast was the king, his men and their wives, who immediately stopped mid-conversation to addressed the crowned prince and his mother.

"My love," The king smiled.

Chang Min knew it was all for show.

"His majesty," The queen and the prince bowed.

With a swift yet authoritative gesture of his hand, the king waved the couple forward, "Come join us."

Chang Min knew this was a trap, sitting next to all of these noblemen, while his father let them discuss how many ways they could play him like a puppet. He promised to behave, but Chang Min knew if he had let himself sit there, he would act the complete opposite of a crowned prince his people would have wanted.

"Forgive me, but I'm truly not hungry," He smiled.

The king's face dropped, and his brows furrowed, a familiar look of dissatisfaction towards his son. Seeing this disgruntled expression, his mother immediately chimed, "Then you should dance with one of the ladies!"

She beamed and glanced at the king for approval. He begrudgingly nodded, and with a quick smile from the queen, he was forced into the field of snakes in shiny silk.

+++

Jeon Song Ji

Song Ji has read many stories about balls. She'd known people who had gone to several balls themselves, but she was a virgin when it came to a royal party. The girl wasn't sure what to do with herself. Should she dance? What if someone instantly discovered she was a fraud? Out of all of these timid conjectures, Song Ji was positive of one simple fact.

She was late.

However, this hadn't seemed to bother Lady Yin Jidam since she took her time decorating Song Ji in various types of rubies, pearls, and wildflowers. Apparently, it was fashionable to arrive late.

"Trust me, you'll walk into the ball, and every nobleman and lady will be staring at you. Admiring your dress, jewellery-

"Irritated that I was late?" Song Ji interrupted.

"Jealous, you mean," She smirked and wiped her hair across her shoulders, "Most importantly, the prince will see you and because of what he did, he'll come to you... he has to."

Things people have to do doesn't mean they want to do it.

Accompanied by four of Yin Jidam's most trusted handmaidens, Song Ji scurried very ladylike-ly through the palace halls. They finally came to a stop at a very long, large door guarded by two soldiers. A maiden whispered something to one of the guards, who he nodded and began moving the heavy wooden panels.

The muffled music outside faded to silence, including the guest that Song Ji hadn't yet seen until ultimately, the doors glided open.

"Lady Yin Jidam, daughter of Yin Hung Wo!" He cried out to the crowd of spectators.

Song Ji froze, her character wholly forgotten until one of her maidens gently urged her forward.

"I-

She paused, taking in the party's sparkling lights, which became a blur. The colorful costumes and shiny instruments, the upper-class noblemen and ladies in silk all looking up at her, waiting for something. In all of this beautiful chaos, Song Ji did the unthinkable and took one step forward.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

I warned you this book will take forever... sorry.