Chapter 10

Chloë's POV

I was sitting in the back office, reading through some paperwork, when Trudie appeared in front of me. I looked up to her. ''Is there something wrong?'' ''No, no, not at all, everything is perfect. You helping me out is perfect, and I eh. Okay I'm not making any sense right now.'' I laughed. Platt had been really nice to me these past days, and always made me smile. ''Anyways, I have a father at the desk who just lost his only daughter. All the guys upstairs are busy, just like me, but I can't bear the thought of him having to wait all by himself. So is there any chance you would..'' ''Of course,'' I interrupted, ''I'm more than happy to help!''

I walked up to the desk, where I saw a man. He looked quite fit, no grey hairs or wrinkles, couldn't be a day over 30. I cleared my throat, and he looked up to me. ''Hi, I'm Chloë. How are you doing?'' ''I'm, I'm trying to get information about my daughter, but nobody is telling me something!'' He was clearly upset, raising his voice as his sentences came to an end. I looked around and saw other people looking at us. ''Let's go somewhere a little more private, shall we?'' The man nodded. I walked him into the little office and sat him down on a chair. ''Would you like some coffee or..'' ''I wanna know what's going on with my daughter!'' ''Sir, I get that, I really do, but I..'' ''No, I need to get information on my daughter, get me someone who knows what is happening!'' ''FINE, you want to talk to somebody who knows what is going on? Then I suggest you just walk back up to that desk, and wait. But I can tell you that that is going to take a while. So you've either gotta get friendly with me, or get the hell out of this office. And I don't give a damn about what you're going through, but you treat me with respect. Cause I'm just trying to the best I can here, and you're not making it any easier!'' 

The man was silent for a while, but then finally spoke up. ''I just don't know where to start.'' ''Well why don't you tell me you're name.'' ''James Margin.'' I shook his hand, ''I'm Chloë.'' ''Eh, no offense miss, but aren't you too young to work at an police station?'' I doubted telling James all of this personal information, but I just went for it. ''My uncle works up in Intelligence, and it's quite a long story, but eh, I'm hanging around here for a while. But what about yourself, can you tell me ...''

The hours flew by, and soon enough I heard a knock on the door. I looked up and saw Adam and Atwater standing on the doorstep. I turned back to James. ''James, these are the two detectives that are going to answer all your questions about your daughter.'' ''Hi sir,'' Adam said, Atwater followed with a quick ''sir'. ''Will you stay here?,'' James asked me. ''No, she won't,'' Adam answered. ''Adam, I'm sure it wouldn't...'' ''Chloë, can I have a word with you outside?''

 I said my goodbyes to James and then followed Adam out of the office, while Atwater sat down with James. Adam put his hands on my shoulders and looked into my eyes. ''How did it go?'' ''Fine, yeah, I mean. There was some arguing in the beginning, but after that I just made small talk with him for hours!'' ''About yourself.'' ''Adam, don't act so dumb, just get to the point. You're holding something back for me, everyone at Intelligence is, even Trudie is. It's not fair!'' Adam tried to interrupt me but I shut him down. ''Why can't I just stay here?'' ''Hasn't Halstead told you this already?'' ''I just wanna hear it from you.'' ''Damn it Chloë, it's because I care about you, okay. I care about you and I don't want to get you into any situation that will put you in harm's way.'' I chuckled and looked down to the ground. Adam looked confused, ''What?'' ''You act so tough, but from the inside you're just one gooey, soft..'' ''Alright, alright, that's enough,'' Adam said as he pulled me into a hug. He gave me a kiss on my forehead. ''Pizzas tonight?'' ''Hell yes!''