four

I had managed to avoid Willow for the better part of a week, until she finally found me.

I was in costume, walking a bit behind a group of Supers. We were on our way to a meeting at the police station, but ever since Lilypad and Mind Mania barged into my house to confront me, I felt like I didn't belong. I was all too aware of the whispers from everyone. Lily had been sure to tell the others that Mind Mania read my thoughts and confirmed that I had feelings for The Flamethrower. Lily had kept her promise, though, and hadn't revealed Willow's actual identity.

The other Supers were judging me, saying I was corrupt and shouldn't be trusted. Whether she was reading my thoughts on the whole situation or not, Mind Mania didn't say anything.

Willow caught up to me when my allies in front of me turned a corner, cutting their view of us off. Still, I knew that they had been periodically glancing at me and it was only a matter of time until they noticed I was gone and came looking. I had to do my job.

Before Willow could say anything, I grabbed her by the collar and spun us around, slamming her into the wall. She looked at me, shocked, and I forced my face to remain blank, eyes hard. Her fingers wrapped around my wrists, but she didn't try to pry me off of her.

"Hey, June. What's up?" She said, concerned. I clenched my jaw.

"Go."

"What?" She asked, looking at me like I was crazy.

"You have three seconds before I call for the others to come help me." I told her, hoping she'd just leave.

She scoffed, ripping my hands away from her and holding them between us in the air. "So they finally brainwashed you, huh?"

I kept my face impassive, breathing heavily.

"I'm just doing my job." I said.

She smiled cynically, eyes narrowing. She let go of me, and I didn't try to grab her again. "How hopelessly heroic."

It was the first time she'd ever made it sound like an insult. I swallowed.

"Help!" I screamed, maintaining eye contact with Willow as I stepped back.

I heard footsteps rushing toward us, and still, Willow just stood there, shocked. She hadn't expected me to actually sell her out. She looked absolutely betrayed, and my heart broke knowing that it was because of me.

"Junie," She said softly, and I shook my head.

"Go."

She stared at me for a moment longer, until I thought it was too late, and then she took off running down the street, blasting fire behind her as she went to keep everyone back. I stayed still, almost hoping I'd get burned. I didn't.

"You did the right thing." Lily said, coming to a stop next to me. I glanced at her and nodded, quickly looking away only to catch Mind Mania's eye. She looked more sympathetic than any of the others. I turned my gaze to the ground, refusing to look back at Willow.

They had lost her, and I felt guilty for being glad that she'd got away. I wanted to ditch the other Supers and go to her lair, but I couldn't. I couldn't.

"This is bullshit," Zephyr said, turning to glare at me. "The Flamethrower would have been locked up ages ago if she would just give up her location."

Everyone looked at me, and I tensed. It felt like a battle.

"That's not fair." I said weakly, taking a step back.

"It's coming in between business. We're supposed to keep the world safe, but you're letting your feelings get in the way." He spat, chest puffing out when the others murmured their agreement. I felt my anger flare up.