What's Wrong Dad?

Soarin continued to walk home after bumping into Dash, still confused about it. He then sighed and raked his fingers into his hair. What is going on? He decided to take a detour and hang out at the café. This is where he goes when he needs to think. He sat in a booth taking a sip out of the coffee he ordered.

His life has been difficult, he has bruises to prove it. His Mom barely makes enough money to feed them both. His Dad died from a car wreck and he's been depressed since. His Mom of course was too, but not as much as he was. They've been close and would always have their father-son bonding time. He wouldn't come out of his room for 2 weeks.

But that was a year ago, now he's been bullied, depressed, and lonely. His Mom and Dash is the only ones he has. He hopes it gets better soon.

                                                                                           ~~~~~~

Rainbow Dash came back home with the stuff her Dad asked her to get. Once she went through the door, her Dad was laying on the couch as usual. "You ok, Dad?," she asked.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. Thanks hun," he said in an emotionless tone. He has dark circles under his eyes and he seems pale.

"You don't look fine," she said putting down the stuff then placing a hand against his forehead. "Do you need medicine? A doctor?"

"N-no, I'm fine, really."

"I don't know Dad, you look like the undead."

"Trust me sweetie, I'm ok."

Worried look on her face, she got up and put the groceries away. Her phone buzzed in her pocket and she checked the message. "Hey it's Pinkie," she said to herself.

She looked back at her father who was still lying there. "I don't want to leave Dad."

As if he heard her, her Dad said, "You can go out with your friends, I'll be fine."

"No Dad, you're sick. I'm not going to leave you by yourself."

"Don't let me get in your way with you visiting your friends."

"Dad..."

"Dashie, I'm alright, I got TV."

She looked back at her message then back at him. "Thanks."

She grabbed her jacket and ran out the door.

                                                                            ~~~~~~~

Once Soarin got home, his Mom was folding the laundry. She turned and smiled at him. "Hey Soar," she said in her cheery voice.

"Hey Mom," he greeted back.

"How's your day?"

"The same as usual," he said sitting on the Love Seat. He moved the hair from his face as he flipped on the TV.

His Mom walked in and sat on the couch. She had a smile on her face. He looked at her agitated, "what?"

"Oh nothing," she said in a sing-song voice. "Just wondering when you're ever going to invite that girl over."

"Gah! Mom!"

"What? You finally meet someone and you never bring her over. I wouldn't mind if you bring a friend here."

"Mom, please."

"Oh, you're no fun," she said getting up, she went up to pat his knee. "But I love you."

He smiled back, "Love you too."

His phone rang and he picked it up. "Hello?"

"Hey Soarin, I got a problem."

"What is it Dashie?"

"You're going to hate it, but my friends want you to come over here."

"Why?"

"Heck do I know, but they won't stop bugging me about it and I told them it's probably not a good idea."

He gulped. "Wh-where are you guys?"

"Over by the café."

"Funny, I was just there." He heard a giggle from the other line. Most likely Dash's.

"You don't have to, I'll talk them out of it...somehow."

"No, if you're friends want me to, I'll be there."

"Ok, see you there."

"See ya."

He hung up and his Mom nodded for his approval of going.

"Bye Mom, love you," he said hugging her quickly.

"Love you too Hun," she said before planting a kiss on his cheek.

Then he went out.

                                                                              ~~~~~~

"We rarely get to talk to you," says Rarity. Dash was laying her head down on the table. Soarin sitting next to her. She knew this was a bad idea.

"Ah reckon ah know why," Applejack said. "Because Dash has been hogging him."

She raised her head up, eyebrows furrowed. "S-shut up."

"Relax Rainbow, AJ just giving you a rough time," Sunset said.Applejack snickered while Dash growled. "What has been going lately anyway Soarin?"

He looked down. "Lots of things, I guess."

"Like super cool things?," asked Pinkie.

"I-I guess."

Rarity swirled her spoon in her cup of tea. "Don't worry dear, things will perk up once you get to know us. Fluttershy was shy at first with us but she now talks like she can't stop."

"That's a lie," she replied in her usual shy voice.

"Are you interested in any sports?," asked Sunset.

"Soarin wants to join the soccer team," Dash said with a sense of pride.

"Wow like you, you guys do have a lot in common."

Rarity sipped her tea and giggled. "What?," asked an agitated Rainbow.

"Oh nothing darling," she said still smiling.

"This isn't happening."

She looked up and stared at Soarin. She didn't realize how cute he was. His shaggy-spiked blue hair, green hypnotizing eyes. Then she heard "ahem". She snapped out of it not realizing she was staring. Rarity giggled again and her face turned red.

After an hour of her friends trying to get Soarin to talk, they left the café. Soarin grabbed her wrist and she looked at him. "Hey Dash, want to go to the field? We haven't been there for awhile."

She smiled before replying, "Sure."