Chapter 1: Decree No. 71

Welcome to The Lives Of The Broken.

This is going to be a marriage law fic with my favorite pairings along with others as well. There will be a lot of mature themes as well as domestic violence, so if that is a trigger for you, please don't read.

As always I don't own any of J.K. Rowling's characters nor the wonderful world that is Harry Potter.

AUTHOR'S NOTE 2021: JUST SO YALL KNOW, ALL OF THE STORIES POSTED ON HERE WERE WRITTEN BEFORE SHE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED CAME OUT TO BE A TERF AND DISAPPOINTED US ALL, SO MY VIEWS AND STANNING OF HER HAS VERY MUCH CHANGED. PLEASE DISREGARD ALL PRAISES I GIVE HER IN MY INTROS. THANK YOU!!

It happened so quickly, it seemed as if it was going in slow motion. Harry Potter, in the middle of death and rubble, was battling it out hard against Lord Voldemort. Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and Neville Longbottom were trying to make Nagini follow them so they could trap and kill her, as she was the last Horcrux.

They were so close, they could almost taste the victory on the tip of their tongues. Ron and Hermione had Nagini right where they wanted her.

However, they didn't anticipate Lucius Malfoy. They didn't even see him coming. Last they seen any sight of him, he was outside where the war was taking place.

But there he was, pointing his wand at Neville and screaming "Avada Kedavra!" at the top of his lungs. There was a flash of green, the sound of death rushing and claiming Neville as his, and the snake slithering away triumphantly.

And then, the deafening screams of despair and horror, and Voldemort's combination of yelling and cackling: "HARRY POTTER HAS BEEN ELIMINATED!"

The evil had won. Their best friend had been wiped off the face of the Earth. All that was left of Harry Potter was his glasses.

Hermione woke up sweaty and panting, as usual. She had the same nightmare of that moment almost every single night. She wished that she could find a way to not sleep, but that was impossible.

She looked over at her practically a sister, Ginny Weasley, tucked in her bed sleeping what appeared to be soundly. But she knew it wasn't what it looked like. It had only been a mere month since Hermione had lost her  unofficial brother, and Ginny, her boyfriend. They had briefly mentioned getting back together after everything was said and done, and now Ginny wouldn't have that chance. Hermione felt horrible for the girl.

She got up and walked out the room, closing Ginny's door quietly. She then tiptoed up the stairs until she got to Ron's room. Before she could knock, he had already opened the door.

"Was I that loud coming up the steps?" asked Hermione.

Ron chuckled. "No. I wasn't sleep. I was about to get some water actually."

"Oh." said Hermione. "Do you still want to go?"

Ron shook his head and grabbed Hermione  hand. "Get in here." he said as he pulled her into his room and into his arms.

They embraced each other as they did most nights when Hermione would sneak up to Ron's room. She found that the only comfort she could get when she would have nightmares was from him.

"Was it the same one?" asked Ron as he squeezed her as close to him as he could get her.

"Isn't it always? It doesn't change. And when I wake up, he isn't here." whispered Hermione as she rubbed Ron's back in circles.

"I know." said Ron. "I still can't grasp the fact that I wake up every morning and that bed over there is empty."

He let go of Hermione and let her get under the covers of his bed. He got in with her, wrapping an arm around her, pulling her close to his body.