Part 11

Elena was prepared to kill. Her fangs extended and she smiled wickedly. Revenge had already ruined her. She stalked the streets, latching onto drunk men or groups of giggling women. Anything that caused her senses to switch, anything that was too loud, anything that smelt too strongly, anything that tasted good. And it seemed that, with her vampire senses, everything tasted good. Apart from real food, of course.

She could only smell one thing- blood. And, blood meant revenge. Blood meant that Damon would be mad. Blood meant that Damon would have to fix this. Blood would mean Damon would return to her. Ha, it was funny that she actually believed that. She believed a murder would draw them closer not further apart.

Elena didn't know she was a mad man, not many do. But, she knew something was off. The human side within herself was begging her to stop, just as it did as she turned and ran from the spot where Caroline watched her come alive once more.

Elena didn't care about the human voice; she cared about herself. She was hungry and she was prepared to satisfy that hunger by any means possible. Even if it meant killing a few innocent bystanders. Just like the one behind her.

She smiled mischievously and turned around, pouting to show off her wide, doe-brown eyes. The man behind her, who was intoxicated, to say the least, smiled and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. 'What's wrong, missy?' He slurred, smiling at his 'catch' for the night.

Elena wasn't a 'catch' though. She wasn't the prey, it was him. He only realised that as her fangs jabbed into his flesh, draining him of his life source, giving it over to her. He dropped dead, curled in an alleyway near the Grill and Elena continued on. She wanted more- she needed more.

-

'Stefan!' Damon cheered gleefully. 'Elena and I are: D.O.N.E, done.' He skipped around like the embodiment of trickery itself and gave Stefan a sinful smile.

'What have you done?' Stefan eyed his brother carefully, following him around the room until they were both at a standstill, their eyes meeting, analysing the other.

'Are you not happy? Elena and I are over?' Damon wanted to shout, cheer but all he could do was let out a restrained laugh.

'Happy? Yes. Fearful? Also, yes. What have you done to Elena?' Stefan asked. He could sense Damon's mood and it only meant bad things. Elena would have had her heart broken if Damon was in this mood when he had arrived at her house. And, in fact, he had.

'Elena's just got an incy-wincy fracture in her heart. She was crying quite a lot.' Damon explained cheerfully as he was Satan himself. Damon had these times. Times were he felt he was free but he was only more bound as each and every law stopped him doing what he wanted to do most.

Damon wanted blood- needed blood. Blood would return him to his right mind or so Stefan hoped. Stefan knew his brother well but over the vampire years, he had avoided his brother as much as possible meaning that he knew little of his brother's vampire instincts.

'We don't have blood in the house. It seems you didn't decide to actually stock any.' Stefan sighed, rubbing his temples trying to calm himself down before unfurling his arm and revealing his wrist. Damon glared at him. 'No! I am not doing this again!' Damon argued, folding his arm like a child. His fangs extended at the thought of blood but he kept his mouth closed to hide it from Stefan's prying eyes.

'Yes, you are. I will not have you murdering this town.' Damon nodded defeatedly and walked, slowly and calmly, to Stefan's outstretched arm. He brought his lips to Stefan's wrist and opened his mouth, his fangs glistening in the dim lighting. 'Just do it.' Stefan ordered as Damon hovered hesitantly over his arm.

Damon complied, ripping through his flesh. Stefan winced but didn't make any sound. Then, Damon began to drain him dry.

They had restraint last time but now, Damon was hungry and he wasn't stopping. Stefan made no attempt at pulling away, wallowing in the feeling of Damon's lips on his wrist meaning that both had no idea what was really happening. Not until Stefan's arm began to crenate.

'Sh*t!' Damon shouted, pulling away and slamming himself against the wall to make sure he took no more. Stefan fell to his knees, alone, Damon unable to help.

Stefan groaned and clutched his head, the injury on his wrist healing quickly. 'It's fine Damon. You can come back.' Stefan spoke calmly, gently and Damon couldn't understand how Stefan could be so uncaring around him as if he didn't care if he was bitten again. Yet, Damon knew what Stefan felt inside- that raging self-hatred that had often caused him to come close to death. It seemed just to be another one of those times.

Damon walked on shaky legs and brought his brother to his feet again before the both sped towards the sofa and collapsed onto it.

'We really need to stop doing that.' Stefan breathed, breaking a sweat. He was using the little energy he had left to heal and it left him panting. His temperature had skyrocketed but with his enhanced immune system, it would only be an hour or so until he returned to normal.

'Are you sure you are okay?' Damon asked, scanning Stefan for any major defects. Stefan nodded numbly and shut his eyes, leaning back.

'I'm fine. Everything is fine.' Stefan murmured, sleep overcoming him. Damon chuckled and smiling.

'I know it is, brother, I know. Although, I'm not sure if I actually believe it.' Damon sighed and leant his head on his brother's shoulder, falling asleep along with him.

It was peaceful, just as they wanted it to be. They would wake up and the chaos would begin but no chaos came without peace and they were just using it up.

word count: 988 (It was 1000 on Google Docs, ugh.)

published: 29.03.17