4 | Secret Doors

4 | Secret Doors

One week is the exact amount of time I've spent pining after Scarlett, and by pining, avoiding any kind of contact with her. I haven't figured out how to fix the mess I've managed to create. I couldn't ask Gloria, and I certainly couldn't ask Ricky, which gave me no options.

That left me with avoiding the problem, which was okay. I'm good at avoiding my problems. Sometimes I want to stop thinking, especially about that night. I ran away from one problem, only to create another one. Although, I have a feeling I can't run from this one. I don't have anywhere else to go, nothing I could afford at least.

Today is the day I'm forced to stop avoiding my problems. I need to settle this week's debt and she's the only one working at the front desk. On top of things being awkward, avoiding her hasn't made things any easier.

I'm sure Scarlett can turn to Gloria for help, but at the right price of course.

The cotton fabric of my black shirt sticks to my back. I now regret the light towel dry because I'm left feeling rather uncomfortable. Walking to my bed, I kneel down and grab the suitcase from under the bed. I grab some money out and slip it into my back pocket. Kicking the case under the bed, I put the blanket in place to cover the content.

"You can do this, Pierce! You can have a normal conversation with her!" I mutter aloud. "Just don't say anything stupid this time around."

I walk towards the door and then yank it open. As I step outside, I close the door behind me. Taking a deep breath, I chant the same line over in my brain before tackling the stairs.

When I reach the lobby, I'm surprised to find Ricky seated behind the tall wooden counter that's clearly seen better days. A feeling of relief floods through my system when I realise I won't have to talk with Scarlett.

I rest my elbows on the counter and wait for him to say something. Just like the moment I'd met Scarlett, it takes him a couple of moments to realise I'm waiting. Ricky sloppily slides the papers to the side as his attention is placed on me.

"Hi, Ricky, I'm here to pay," I say.

A smile spreads onto Ricky's lips at the mentioning of money.

"I'll grab Scarlett for you." He slides off the chair, then steps towards the wooden wall behind him. He pushes the wall to the side, revealing a secret compartment behind it. Inside the small room is a wooden desk and a stunning redhead bent over another pile of paperwork. For a quiet business, she appears to be doing a lot of paperwork.

Ricky enters the room and roughly shuts the door behind him. I stare at the wall in silences as I wait for some response. Soon enough, the door rattles across the metal slider as Scarlett pops her head out.

Instead of the dull and irritated look she'd once displayed, her grin is tight and the smile forced onto her lips is cringe worthy. I notice Ricky in the background watching our interaction. Scarlett takes a seat by the desk and looks at me with her mushy pea green eyes.

"How can I help you, Pierce?" she questions.

"I would like to pay for my tab," I reply.

"Right." Scarlett nods.

She pulls a folder from a drawer underneath the desk and drops it on the desk. The sound of the plastic folder hitting the wood sends out a loud thwacking noise which makes me shiver. Without a second to waste, Scarlett flips through the folder until she finds the sheet she needs.

"That'll be three hundred and fifty, thanks."

I hand Scarlett the money and then wait for the receipt to be printed. When she hands it over, I tuck the piece of paper into my back pocket.

"Thanks."

 "Have a nice day," she says.

Scarlett quickly gets off the chair and rips the secret door open. She steps inside and roughly yanks the door closed. The thudding noise echoes through the quiet space. I'd royally screwed up any kind of friendship there.

Taking a step away from the desk, I head outside for the nearest cash machine. If I want to spend my time living at the motel, I'm going to need more cash and a sustainable job to support myself.

I knew running away from home wouldn't be easy, but I'm certainly ready to give it a try.

Scarlett's Point Of View

The door slams closed as I wander back to the desk. Ricky gives me a weird shrug before turning to glance at his mobile phone. His beat up blue vans rest on the side of the wooden desk.

"I have this funny feeling about Pierce," I mumble with distaste. "I just can't figure it out yet."

Ricky's shoes fall onto the ground and then he drags his fingers through his oily brown hair.

"Forget about the boy, Scarlett, Gloria said your father is asking about you," says Ricky.

"I know, that's why you have me in here," I reply.

"He's becoming a problem. He's getting closer, a lot closer than I thought. Someone spotted him at a bar not too far from here."

"Shit," I curse. "I thought moving here would throw him off."

"He's in a lot of debt now that he doesn't have anyone paying for him," Ricky explains.

"What am I supposed to do?" I slump into my chair.

"Don't leave the motel?" he offers. "I'll mind the front desk until he leaves."

I huff at the thought of being stuck in this small room all day . . . there are no windows and the slight breeze is the on and off again air con that manages to produce a slight breeze in the summer months.

"I'll go mad if I'm stuck inside the motel." I sigh.

    "I don't want to see you hurt again, either," he notes.

    I whimper at the thought of being caught. I know exactly what it means. Sometimes there's no escaping your past demons no matter how far or fast you run . . . some things are unavoidable.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you."

"You always do, Ricky." I half-smile.

"That I do." He dryly laughs.

Instead of dwelling on the past, I pick up my pen and start processing the money we've made this week. A huge total of three hundred and fifty dollars. Even if I can't figure out this funny feeling, Peirce's business is good for us.

So, are you good at avoiding your problems?