8 | Frozen Peas

8 | Frozen Peas

My ears hurt from the amount of noise being emitted from around me. Screaming, I can hear someone screaming to save them. Could I save them? My foot slips across the carpeted ground as I reach out for guidance. The belt buckle encasing my torso to the car tugs me back.

I can't move. I can't save them.

There's a headlight flickering in front of me – bring beams of light piercing into my eyes. The cracked globe desperately fights to create a spark of energy, though, I wish it would break.

My eyes hungrily scan the scene for answers. I wish I could stop looking, but I can't seem to bring myself to stop. The fragments of the crash surrounding us is like a spinning tornado threatening to take over.

I glance beside me to see his unmoving body. I flinch away, terrified of my thoughts. A new glimpse of someone outside strikes a deep pool of fear swelling in my belly.

The same thought rolls through my mind . . . If only I could move, if only I could save them.

He lays on the damp ground beside the car with a woman hovering above his body. She presses a number of compressed pumps while yelling orders to her partner. There's a scramble of movement which gives me hope. Maybe they can save us, or is our fate doomed like the flickering lightbulb?

My heart is racing like a jackhammer cracking through thick cement. My back is slick with sweat which causes the fabric of my thin nightshirt to cling to my back.

"Well, fuck." I gasp.

Pressing my hand against my chest, I take a deep breath to slow my pulsing heartbeat. You'd think after the millionth time it would be easier, but it isn't, just gets worse.

I roll over and see the glowing clock resting on top of the bedside table. The green light illuminates the small space on the bed which shows the sheets massing in a tangled heap around my feet. I flick the sheets away and climb off the mattress.

"At least I still have time for a nightcap." I thankfully grin.

I discard my pajamas on the floor and search for a pair of jeans, shirt, and a hoodie. The fresh smell of laundry detergent lingers around me before I reach for a cheap store brand sent to douse myself in. I slip into a pair of boots and re-adjust my oversized hoodie.

With my wallet and key in hand, I walk out of the room and head for the set of stairs.

My boots thud against the wooden steps as I emerge into the dark lobby. For once the lights are off and Scarlett is nowhere to be seen. It's an odd sight considering she's short a metal chain.

I push the door open and hit the street with a sense of urgency coursing through my limbs. The crisp cold air swirls around my ankles, sending a shiver rolling through my body. I tug my hoodie closer to my body as I weave between buildings.