17. Escape

The police lights blinded me as I stood outside of 221B. Near me, Pig Boss was dabbing his bloody nose he had gotten thanks to John punching him. I'd admit that was the highlight of my night. Well, a good highlight of the night. There were plenty of bad highlights, like John was now arrested like Sherlock.

Donovan and Greg were near their police car, talking. A few officers were near me, I made sure to keep myself in check.

I surveyed my surroundings. Maybe I could slip a bit closer to John and Sherlock, make a distraction to see if they could use it to escape somehow. Timidly, I took baby steps, inching closer to the boys, who were stuck against a police car. I noticed they were cuffed together.

"Excuse me, miss," said an officer. I hissed between my teeth. Damn. Caught. "You should be inside. You don't need to be out here."

"Is there a dead body around?"

"No."

"Then I have a right to be out here."

"Miss—"

"There is no law saying that I can't be out here enjoying the fresh air. It's not illegal. "

"I can have you arrested for neglecting to listen to authority."

Okay, now I was stuck. Sass was only going to get me into worse trouble, and I was sure flirting would go the same way. But I wasn't going to stand here and obey the officer. I wasn't one who broke rules often, but I had an urge to tonight.

A faint, loud screech echoed in the air. The officer behind John and Sherlock doubled over in pain, clutching at his ear. Sherlock and John pulled away from the car. I widened as I saw a gun in Sherlock's left hand. Held by the handcuff, John's right hand was forced to go along with Sherlock's left.

Sherlock aimed the gun at officers. While everyone's attention was on the desperate consulting detective, I slipped past the officer who threatened to arrest me, getting closer to Sherlock and John.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Sherlock announced, "will you all please get on your knees?"

I looked around. Nobody, including myself, was reacting. Sherlock wasn't pleased with the result. He raised the gun, firing two shots into the air. I cringed, ducking as though I was in the midst of a battlefield.

"Now would be good!" Sherlock lowered the gun, pointing it right back at the officers.

"Do as he says!" Greg ordered, gesturing.

I watched as the officers began to comply with Sherlock's demand. My eyes met Sherlock's. He jerked his head—a gesture to me. You're coming too, he was saying. I nodded, understanding. I continued to creep along.

"Miss, stop!" another officer called to me. "Stop or you will be arrested!"

I made sure to bite back the retort I had building in my throat. None of the officers would come after me, not while Sherlock wanted them down on the ground.

"Just—just so you're aware," John stammered loudly, "the gun is his idea. I'm just a...you know..."

I jumped back a step as Sherlock put the gun in his other hand, pointing it at John. God I really hope this is an act.

"...my hostage!" Sherlock shouted.

"Hostage!" I heard John say under his breath. "Yes, that works—that works!"

The boys started backing away. Sherlock stole a look at me again. I detected urgency in his eyes. Hurry up. I trotted to be with them. They were backing towards a corner.