Ch. 3

Percy

Ch. 3

Percy pushed the other half of his meatloaf square around his plate, grateful the knock at the door had given him a break from forcing this chalky brick being called meatloaf down his throat. Harry's warning hadn't properly prepared him for the cuisine served at the Dursley home.

He could hear the muffled voice of his Uncle Vernon hissing at what he assumed was Harry before they went silent. He looked around the table. Dudley was doing his best impression of nun in prayer, his eyes never once rising further than his plate, obviously still scared about their confrontation earlier in the day.

Served the little prick right.

Aunt Petunia, on the other hand, was darting nervous glances towards the living room then turning back to the table with a forced smile. She was clearly quite nervous about what was going on in the living room but desperately trying not to show it for some reason.

Percy was apparently the only one at ease, though the rumbling in his stomach said it might be a less than pleasant night. Petunia's meatloaf felt like he'd swallowed a brick and his intenstines were staging a violent protest in hopes to sending the toxic substance from the hellhole from whence it came.

Unfortunately for him, he couldn't tell which end it was going to be ejected from, though it was clear neither going to be a pleasant experience for him.

"Pe... Perseus?" Uncle Vernon stuttered from the living room.

Before he could answer, Petunia jumped to her feet.

"Vernon!" She protested just as the pale face of Vernon stepped into the entrance to the living room. "What are you doing?"

He looked blankly at her for a minute and was about to reply when Harry slipped past the wide man, a megawatt smile plastered on his face.

"It's a letter for Percy!" He looked like a kid on Christmas, which Percy really didn't understand. For one, it was just a letter. And two, it had to be a mistake. Who would have sent him a letter, here in Britain? No one knew he was here, except him mom and Pau,l and he highly doubted they'd sent him a letter already considering they would have had to send it before he even left.

"Uh, a letter?" Percy looked around, confused at the horrified look on Petunia; the blank pale face of Vernon and the absolutely overjoyed expression Harry had.

He stepped towards Harry who was holding out what looked like an old piece of rolled up paper to him. Petunia tried to snatch it away but Harry pulled it back, a look of indignation on his face.

"It's for Percy," he scolded, as if he were a parent talking to a child.

Petunia looked downright miserable but seemed to take being chastised in stride, not trying to grab the piece of rolled up paper again. While that struck him as odd, his curiosity of what the paper contained had peaked his interest.

Percy awkwardly took it from Harry who was almost bouncing up and down with happiness. He unrolled the paper, his eyes widening a bit at what lay inside.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr. Jackson,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.