11; sunset

EVERYTHING THERE COULD BE,
AND THEN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

❝ EVERYTHING THERE COULD BE, AND THEN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ❞

My fingers gripped to his leather jacket, the cool slick material rubbing softly against my fingers as I dropped to the gravel. The tracks were below my feet as I gazed up at the evening air, the hues of delicate oranges, reds, and blues painting the sky in a divine way. I tapped lightly against the tip of my shoes, my fingers dancing along the soles as I squinted, tilting my head and relishing in the mesmeric scenery.

Dallas creased his eyebrows and dropped the plastic bags to the rough grounds. "You okay?" His eyes darted from area to area, looking for any signs of trouble.

"I'm fine. Just sit for a second." I gulped and leaned over, snatching one of the bags from his side. He planted next to me, arms outstretched, supporting his weight, with his hair pushed back in a disheveled yet flattering way. He shook his locks and raised a palm above his bushy eyebrows, mouth agape as he followed my line of vision.

"It's beautiful," I stated dully. Dallas tilted his head in the slightest, crossing his left foot over the other. I popped open a bag of chips Dallas had purchased and shoved a few in my mouth, storing them as a chipmunk would, then handed it over to him. He mimicked my actions.

"The sunset?" He asked in disbelief.

I narrowed my eyes and muttered, "yeah." I shifted my gaze from the swirling shades and observed him, stolid with his callous fingers digging roughly into the pebbles and dirt. The tracks on both sides seemed to run on for miles and were surrounded by sparse trees, oak, and pine that barely concealed the path that expanded endlessly. I twisted my jaw and tried to read his expression, the dull and lifeless look he always seemed to hold as his stare was on the prettiest thing I'd seen, yet he conveyed no reaction.

I couldn't understand how somebody could see such a beautiful sight, the rarest and angelic tinges I'd laid my eyes on, and hold no emotion. They swirled with the whistling of the wind, the cool breeze that seemed hardly common on a regular day. I thought maybe mother nature had set the scene for us, the contrasting looming trees and the purest sunset, and suddenly I wanted to lean over and relish in a wonderful hug.

But I didn't. He wasn't the type. The inevitable sparkle that illuminated my features didn't dare touch his, the sharp and ominous look he held, the coarse wisps of his hair. I found myself admiring the faint bump of his nose, his soft lips and his chin that curved inward, sharp and trailing down to his adorning mellow amber coat.   

"I like to stop and appreciate the small things." I wasn't sure why I was still talking. I didn't think he would understand, but there was a comfortableness inside of me, an urge to tell him my thoughts. A sliver of me hoped he would appreciate it.  "It's really beautiful watching the colors fade to nothing. Everything there could be, and then absolutely nothing."