Part SIX

"That was a bad move." Dumbo said awfully matter-of-factly.
"Yeah, don't remind me." I reply, giggling hysterically inside at my strategic skills. Dumbo, as the smart ass of us lot, is expected to know everything, which is an expectation he willingly fulfills.

Poundcake smirks, and says, "Don't worry, Cass. You'll get used to him and his rude remarks - I have", referring to Dumbo. We both laugh almost secretly at each other, and Dumbo lets out a sigh.

My dirt-stained, high-waist skinny jeans pull tentatiously on my muscles, obviously growing too tight for my size. I can barely breathe in them when Dumbo says, "If we need any new clothing we can raid the stores in the town. There should be some leftover."
"I swear you people are mind readers!" I exclaim without expecting it myself, thrilled to be so surprised and exhillerated at the same time. The three of us sniggered and burst out laughing until Ringer came to join us saying, "Chess? How could you play without me?" With a half smile on her face.

"Come and join us if you're so bothered about it." Poundcake offers, and Ringer nodded. "Prepare to get your asses kicked!" She laughs as she bounces onto the grass beside me.

For the next few hours, conversations brew about our past lives, and the games of chess are continually won by Ringer as anticipated. Dumbo wins once against her, but that is the only exception.

I begin to wonder where Evan could be - Sam and Teacup are busy playing hide and seek around the house's front yard, easily visible from where I am sat. Maybe he's with Carson, I guess, hoping he hasn't strayed too far from where we are. After all, he is our protector.

Somehow I can sense his near presence, ensuring that he is close and safe as per usual. I should check on him, I decide, almost certain that just seeing him would ease my worrying. I know I don't need to worry about Evan whatsoever, although it's near to impossible not to.

"I'm gonna go and see what Evan's up to." I tell the others, and Ringer answers, "Good idea - none of us have seen him for hours. I'm sure he's fine, though, Cassie." As she speaks, the panic sets in, and I start walking abruptly toward the house.
"Be careful!" Ringer yells from behind me; why wouldn't I be?

The rectangular-cut which was the front door seems wider than before, and the carpet on the stairs seem darker. Mud is trampled in footsteps up the steps, leading to the upstairs landing. Following the trail of dirt, I am lead to the boiler room, which is more the size of a miniature walking wardrobe, and Evan's thick plaid jacket hangs from the metal bar above me. His heavy-soled sneakers are layed unevenly on the floor, and a wooden broom leans against the wall beside them. I shut the door, turning in the opposite direction to find my face planted into someone's chest - Carson.

"Being nosey, are we?" He asks.
I hesitate, then reply, "um... I was just looking for Evan. Have you seen him?" As I speak I attempt to hide the suspicious feeling hanging from the ends of my words, probably unsuccessfully.

"If you wanna know where Evan is, you'll have to look downstairs. He hasn't been up here." I nod and turn towards the stairs when I hear a door swing open behind me. My head jolts around to see Evan staggering through the door, struggling to grab Carson by the shoulders, but eventually slamming him onto the ground.

"What happened, Evan??" I questioned.
"Don't trust him!" Evan's eyes are glaring into those of Carson's, searching for an element of apology in those orange-brown eyes, unable to find any.

I take cautious steps towards Carson's breathless body as Evan clenches his throat with his mighty hands, drawing the life out of Carson slowly.
"He tried to tie me up with rope to his bed, so that he could lure you and the others into his trap, but I was too strong for him. If he were human he would never have stood a chance."
"Sleeper?"