Part THIRTEEN

Sammy's POV

"Hey, Cassie. Are you feeling better?" I say. The past few days have been the scariest of my life. When Cassie disappeared, I didn't know what to do except cry like a baby and wait for Evan to find her. The state she came back in... of course it made me cry. But I'm mature and I shouldn't cry in front of people. That's what Ben always taught me back at the base.

"Yeah, I'm feeling much better. The bruise on my ribs is killing me, though." Cassie says, sitting on the concrete next to me with a thud.

I pass her a plate of food that I just finished preparing, so she doesn't have to move around too much. The faster she heals, the better. I need my sister to be okay. Especially if we have another run-in with the Alien People.

"Aw, thanks Sams," Cassie says, rubbing my fluffy hair. I don't even remember the last time I had it cut. Maybe six months ago? It almost covers all of my ears, and almost reaches my eyes, so if I don't have it cut soon, I won't be able to see anything.

The salad i make out of a few kinds of vegetables out of tins is pretty gross, but I am so hungry that I don't have a care in the world about its taste. I finish the portion of food I have before everyone else except Poundcake, who seems to have barely eaten anything at all. He doesn't look great, really. He looks like he is about to vomit. I want to ask him if he's okay, or offer him a bottle of water, but if I'm wrong then he might be embarrassed. Another thing Ben taught me at the army base. Only ask someone about their personal feelings if you know there's something wrong with them. There is definitely something wrong with Poundcake, right now.

- - -

Poundcake's POV

I like to pretend I'm not okay, just because it seems like there's no reason to be happy. Honestly, I just wish I could eat one of those freshly made meals from Taco Bell, or a simple Starbucks iced frappucino. That's all I ever wanted.
But when it comes to the loss of my family and friends, it doesn't affect me. When I think about how sad I should be about my parents, I realise that I'm perfectly happy without them; even if I could get them back, I would choose not to.

Am I selfish? Yes. Is it fair? Probably not. But that's not my problem.
Except now I feel like my entire stomach is going to explode. Maybe it was the food we ate yesterday - without fridges or freezers anything could give us food poisoning. It's not like I would know how food is supposed to be stored without the packaging to give me instructions. Or maybe this build-up of emotions is just driving my body insane.

- - -

Cassie's POV

This doesn't make any sense. First of all, I get kidnapped by Evan's supposedly dead brother. Then he acts crazy when Evan shows up. Then I'm back here and everyone looks like they've just witnessed a murder. Well, we've witnessed a few since the waves, but none of us have ever reacted like this. No one is speaking. Most of us aren't even eating.

I look at Evan who is now stood by the door leaning against the frame. He's staring at the ground in a daze, occasionally glancing up at me as if to make sure I'm still okay. It continues like this for a few more minutes until I can't bear it anymore. I can't take the atmosphere.

As I get up to leave the backyard and head back into the living room, I feel a million gazes fall upon me, but I don't want to look back at my friends' solemn faces. I just want to get away from them. My shoulder brushes against Evan's as I pass through the door and he follows me into the living room.

"What's wrong with everyone?" I ask Evan, hoping he can enlighten me on how they feel.
"They're... lost. They don't know what to do. We just lost Teacup. We were spooked when you disappeared. Now that you're back, there's nothing left. No goals except to eat and sleep and live."