Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

I had never been an artistic person. This meant valuing the beauty of nature, taking photos to capture a specific moment, or appreciating anything that took design, wasn't at all my thing. Of course, art in any form was something that should be acknowledged and celebrated, but from an individual standpoint, nothing seemed to capture my attention longer than a few minutes and never inspired any pivotal thoughts.

However, there was a clear exception to the rule and it came in the form of Vivian Black.

But let's rewind. We were one of the two last groups to get assigned a counselor. So, both the Beavers and Hellhounds stayed lined up against the wall. One of the counselors was late, meaning Mr. Black had to choose for them. He considered us, our physical appearance and apparently far-too-used to Gwen's hopping, so it didn't distract him as he contemplated his options.

"First of all, Hellhounds," Mr. Black said, clapping his hands together. "You're being assigned to my son, Walter, and Beavers, you're assigned to my daughter, Vivian. Because you won't have time to organise another activity—you guys can play dodgeball in here."

"Why is this just clicking now?" I asked, glancing to my right.

Gwen directed a knowing smile my way but indulged my surprise. "What's just clicking?"

I nodded toward the director. "He's your dad. You have like, an unlimited number of siblings running this joint."

"Just Walter and Vivian," Gwen dismissed, waving a hand carelessly toward the other campers. "My dad's brother, Manny, is over there, the guy with a permanent sulk on his face."

"And why is that unfortunate thing on his face?"

"Like I said, camp this summer wasn't the plan."

"I can relate." I looked at the guy, with reddish hair pushed back into a mess on top of his head. Somehow, it just worked for him. When we met eyes, his twitching eye practically bulged. "Hopefully not too much, hey?"

"Camp wasn't your plan either?" she asked.

"No," I said.

"Did you have other fabulous plans?"

At that, I frowned. "I was supposed to spend it with Dad."

She placed her hand on my shoulder, offering a sympathetic smile. "He sent you here?"

"Nope. Mom decided she wanted me. Then, she wanted to go on a cruise. She dropped me off on the way and went off with her new husband."

"Drama," she whispered to herself.

"Stupid, useless drama, yeah."

The door to the building opened with a loud bang. It was impressive how a person could command the room as quickly as she did. The way I spun around and responded to the abrupt noise was just as a dramatic response. Then, of course, my eyes widened, and my pulse raced. Now, my reaction was one that was deserved because of just who carried out the impressive arrival.