Risk

A situation involving exposure to danger.

The rest of the week passes by quickly and it feels odd. I don't see him for any of it.

Nick isn't in second period, not even once. I obsessively check the spot underneath the tree every time Fay and I go outside to eat.

Fay invites me to hangout with her Friday night and I agree. She's the only person I've spent time with since school started. I've exchanged short conversations with other students but nothing like what I have with Fay. It's different with her. Fay is the best friend I've always wanted and she is instantly that without any effort. It's nice. Simple.

We stroll to my house after school. The weather is crispy cold and it smells like wet grass. I like the soft breeze.

"So, what's the plan for tonight?" I ask her.

"I think we should get dressed up for no good reason and go to Randy's for slushies. Drink until we get brain freezes."

"Your normal friday night?" I question.

"Basically yeah," Fay chuckles and then puffs her cheeks out. She has specks of freckles on her milky smooth complexion. "There's really not that much to do."

"Are you ever bored?"

She shrugs. "I mean, yeah. I do wish something blood pumping would happen every once in a while but I'm not the type of girl to go looking for it."

"Same. But sometimes I go searching for trouble. It passes the time."

"Anything good ever happen?"

I don't have to think about it before I answer. "No."

We walk the rest of the way in comfortable silence. My parents aren't home from work yet. Fay and I change into some of my old party dresses. We do our makeup and finish up by taking selfies outside in the light of the setting sun.

We walk downhill and link hands as we stroll.

"Have you moved around a lot your whole life?" Fay gets the conversation ball rolling.

"Sort of," I match my pace with hers. "I don't really get attached very easily so wherever my dad's work has taken him I just kind of...tag along."

"Not much for emotional vulnerability huh?" Her grip slightly slakens and I squeeze her hand.

"You're different."

We leave it at that. My friendship with her is a comfort I don't normally feel. I don't want to ruin it.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting but I laugh once we're in the parking lot staring at the convenience store.

It's called Randy's Gas N Grub with a yellow sign on the building. It's almost like a fancy gas station if gas stations could be fancy. The tiny store looks full of convenience items and aisles of junk food. Fay and I go inside and she directs me to the slushies.

A small corner of the wall has different slushy flavors. Cola, cherry, pineapple, blue raspberry. Fay mixes cherry and pineapple and claims it's heavenly. I go for blue raspberry.

We walk around looking for other snacks and as we stand staring at the chips, discussing Fritos Vs Potato chips the bell chimes on the door and I look up.

Of course it's him.

Nick catches my eyes on his instantly and doesn't make any indication that he recognizes me. I bump into Fay lightly with my elbow and she follows my gaze to him. She gives a tiny gasp.