Stay

~ Demi ~

     I nervously flipped through my song book as I awaited for my manager to arrive. I knew it would take him at least another hour or so, but I was a mess of nerves. The song I had been writing suddenly didn't fit in with the vibe of our tour. Although I meant every word I put down on the page, it made me feel exposed. I definitely didn't want that. Think, Demi, think. I had numerous songs written in my notebook, but choosing just one for my manager to look over was giving me anxiety. That was, until I heard the door to my room on the bus open. I had been sitting at the small table in the living space before spotting a bed-head Selena, rubbing her eyes while wearing my tour shirt. Her long smooth legs...

     "Morning." I breathed out.

     "Good morning." Selena slowly studied where she was, covering her face from the light. "I think I have a hangover."

     "What did you drink last night?"

     "One glass of something. I watched the girl mix it. It basically had some of everything in it." I watched as Selena tried finding her balance, walking over towards the sink before grabbing a glass of water. "What are you doing up so early?"

     "I'm waiting for Phil. He should be coming over within an hour or so."

     "Oh right." Her raspy voice sounded like music to my ears. "Let me hear your song." She turned to face me, cupping her glass between her fingers.

     "I don't know which one I should play."

     "I can help. Read me the chorus of each one. Or better yet, sing it." I watched as she sipped on the water, her eyes studying me over the rim. Seeing her like this was starting to remind me that if she was mine, I could wake up to this view every day.

     "Um," I glanced down, flipping through a few pages before clearing my throat. "This is just something I've written a while ago." Selena hadn't budged, patiently waiting. I was debating on if I should read the words I had scribbled down hours ago as Selena lay by my side. During the night she had cuddled up to me and honestly it was suffocating. Her presence, although I welcomed it began to pain me all over again. This entire song book was filled with things she did to me and the way she made me feel. She wouldn't know that of course, but it still did something to me.

     "Are you going to sing?"

     "Actually, I can't. I want it to be a surprise for the last show. I'll just run over it with Phil and see what he has to say."

     "Oh come on. You use to always play music for me." I watched as she made her way over to my side, folding her legs as she sat next to me. "Please." It was as if she was torturing me on purpose. After last night I kind of wanted to do one of two things. One, leave and make it clear as to why, or two, fall into what I wanted and be damn the consequences.

     "You should probably get dressed or something. I...."

      "Lightweight." Selena's eyes fell onto the page. "Sing it." She placed her cup down, shifting into me as one foot pressed against the floor. Her knee tapping my own. I don't know why my throat began to dry as she studied me.

      "Ugh, fine!" I snatched the notebook up and gave us a little space. I wanted to sound disinterested in the words on the page, although they rung very true.

     "I'm a lightweight

     Better be careful what you say

     With every word I'm blown away

     You're in control of my heart..."

      Selena happily waved for me to go on.